My DIY pool build

Jul 15, 2009
Monterrey, MX
Hi everyone,

After more than one year of researching I was lucky to find this wonderful site.
I believe that I have learned enought to start building my own pool. It will be constructed like the one of cancuntom (thanks) whit some diferences. I know is different of how they are constructed now in the US, but I'm confident it will be ok, and I hope this thread be usefull for somebody.

My backyard is small, about 25 x 50 ft, so the pool will be 11 x 20 ft, 4.5 deep, and no way to introduce equipment to do the hardest part (the hole), I started on January 29 working on weekends with two of my boys (They are happy to help) and some hollydays, it took us 2 weeks to do the hole, one more for rebar and pour the slab; then I have the fourth week free from job and built a bench, a kind of entry level and tha walls. I have now just some weekends to work and the building will be slower. Here are some pictures, i hope they help somebody as this site is helping me.

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,983
  • DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,982
  • DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,982
The slab is ready

There is also a rebar horizontally each 8 inches in the walls

That was the hardest part and I like to do it now because of the fresh days 50 degrees.

I was worried about the concrete, here normally is mixed by hand and that way is used a lot of water, but I wanted a good mix and was not able to use a truck due to the space, so I bought a small husky concrete mixer in home depot and was afraid about it continuos performance. I must say we make 4 cubic yards from 82 batches of 5 gallons of sand, 7.5 gallons of gravel, 2.5 gallons of cement, 2.5 gallons of water, 5 oz of sikalite in aprox 4.5 hours to load it at 90% of its maximum capacity and the mixer worked great.

Attachments

• DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,982
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,981
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,983
Thanks, the 800x600 format is much better.

I remember having to hand-dig through clay soil helping my Dad build a retaining wall... very hard work, and we didn't get a pool to swim in afterward! When do you expect to be done with your project? What kind of tile and coping, etc? Keep the pics coming!

Welcome gumarogarc to TFP :wave: . If you need any advice we will be here to help you with your pool. Using child labor is a great way to keep your costs down :shock: :shock: :shock:

polivue, I will use venetian tile from kolorines brand

[attachment=0:2kiqq0yg]Veneciano.JPG[/attachment:2kiqq0yg]

About coping, I'm not sure yet, I'm between 40 x 40 tile and colored and sealed stamped concrete.

The plan is to finish On June to be be able to use it three months.

brentr, yes the cost are very low, just materials.

Attachments

• Veneciano.JPG
    Veneciano.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,955

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is an update from the last two weekends:

And with a camera, my cel quality is not good enought :lol:

I really like how is it looking :party: :party: :whoot:

Attachments

• Alberca (8) - Copy.JPG
    Alberca (8) - Copy.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 1,792
  • Alberca (30) - Copy.JPG
    Alberca (30) - Copy.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Alberca (37) - Copy.JPG
    Alberca (37) - Copy.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,791
Two more pictures, one for a question:

The tree closest to tha pool is a mandarin and is 7 feet from the edge of the pool.

The other is a pomegranate, and is 15 feet from the edge.

Should I remove the mandarin or even the pomegranate?

Attachments

• Alberca (35) - Copy.JPG
    Alberca (35) - Copy.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,789
  • Alberca (22) - Copy.JPG
    Alberca (22) - Copy.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 1,790
The tree closest to tha pool is a mandarin and is 7 feet from the edge of the pool.
The other is a pomegranate, and is 15 feet from the edge.
Should I remove the mandarin or even the pomegranate?
Though I don't know too much about trees, I'm pretty sure I know the right questions to ask in deciding whether to remove them.

1. How large - tall and wide - will it grow in maturity? Always easier to take out a small tree.
2. How extensive is the root system? Some species spread far from their trunk.
3. Does the tree shed leaves, berries, blooms etc frequently or prolifically? Attract insects?

Plants and trees can be an occasional nuisance or quite destructive, growing into underground pipes and lifting or breaking up concrete decks. The one 7 ft from the pool I'd be most worried about.

I realize this might be a little late and that funds are tight but I would reccomend replacing all your red handle ball valves to jandy or pentair never lube valves. I fine tune my valves frequently and these turn much better and easier.

Not final product yet.

I did the pressure test and cover with waterproof mortar (Sika 1) the inside of the pool.

Next steps are coping and deck and finally install the venetian tile.

Sorry I don't post pictures, I am on vacations; next week I will post some pictures.

Here is the advance of two working weekends.

The first one we, cover the inside of the pool with impermeable mortar.

The other one, we make the coping. We finally choice concrete with brown color.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Alberca (39) copy.jpg
    Alberca (39) copy.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,579
  • Alberca (44) copy.jpg
    Alberca (44) copy.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,579
  • Alberca (45) copy.jpg
    Alberca (45) copy.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1,579

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.