Western Pool and Spa Show...

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
My wife and I went to the WPSS and was overall very impressed with the show and seminars. Only a few minor complaints on the Seminars (stay on topic, or at least speak to the topic in the program that brought me there in the first place), and it's always good to use TFP to keep me "grounded" in the "Chlorine Purists" world...

As far as the show, some really cool neat stuff - including some simple things I would have never thought of.

The one I liked the most was a wireless auto-fill - put/connect the remote to your skimmer lid and hook up the base station at the fill line. Batteries are supposed to last a year. I like this - don't have to tear-up the deck! www.konalabs.com. Now, if I could just figure out how to drain my pool after all this rain we've been getting without getting wet.

Note to self - next pool I have built for me should have an auto-drain line.

Some other things that seemed interesting were some HFD add-ons (for existing 1 1/2 HP pumps and lower) in the $400-500 range (www.h2oflow.net), alternatives to DE (fiberclear), Some cool new twist to pool-nets and pool-brushes (although I still think I could design a better one) and a really nice replacement for skimmer lids (www.CasaNewport.com - wish I would have thought of these).

Also got to spend some time with the Pentair Intellixxx guys at their booth and they were very helpful. I'm also mad at the Jandy guys and let them know it - seems if I want to upgrade my RS Aqualink to support their new E-Pump, I need to basically switch out my whole control panel's circuit board for an exorbitant cost. IF I decide to go with a multi-speed automated pump, I've now half-a-mind to go the whole route and go Pentair - including the controller (which allows internet access/control of your pool - Jandy still doesn't, or they don't list it anywhere...).

But I'm amazed at how much marketing there was around phosphate removers, sequestrants, algaecides and the multiple different ways (other than Cl) to maintain your pool - such as new twists on Ozone, and mineral-based systems.

- Jeff

The http://www.h2oflow.net link appears to be dead! Be careful with the HFD's (or VFD's). Hybrid Pumps (http://www.hybridpumps.com) has an "add-on" VFD and is very involved but is not getting the results they would like on pumps. That may or may not be a viable option, so make sure it is compatible with whichever pump you would decide to use it on.

Thanks for the report! Did you attend any of Ron Lacher's seminars?

Jeff, Glad you had a good time.

Did you by any chance see/get any info on the new Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Salt Water Chlorination System (DIY). http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-2776/Jandy-AquaPure-Ei-Series/Detail.bok and/or http://saltwaterpoolparts.com/jandyeichlorinegenerator.html.

Or does anyone have any info/comments on this system?

I don't know the plate surface area or the coating used? The plate vessel does "look" small in the pictures but I have nothing to compare it too.

Thanks, gg=alice

The Jandy AquaPure Ei Series Salt Water Chlorination System seems to require a fairly high flow rate compared to other SWGs (40 GPM minimum), and a fairly high salt level (around 4,000). Neither is an issue for most people, but it will be a problem from some people.

as I said, I'm pretty upset with Jandy about everything I need requires me to upgrade the board in my controller - I did see the integrated the Aquapure into the control center, which is a good idea, I guess. But I've got the older aquapure and aqualink. Not sure I'd recommend them right now. They're also expensive (when compared to Pentair).

Oh - and I mistyped the link for the VFD - the correct link is www.H2flow.net

taekwondodo said:
as I said, I'm pretty upset with Jandy about everything I need requires me to upgrade the board in my controller - I did see the integrated the Aquapure into the control center, which is a good idea, I guess. But I've got the older aquapure and aqualink. Not sure I'd recommend them right now. They're also expensive (when compared to Pentair).

Oh - and I mistyped the link for the VFD - the correct link is http://www.H2flow.net

Thanks much. Sorry for your "bummed outness" with Jandy products. Now that I have the two new Pentair products, I think I'm going to more closely consider staying with Pentair products. I have had one occasion to email them when I was shopping for my new pump and filter. They responded quickly and were very helpful.

Salt water chlorinator is at the very bottom of my wish list(s) (money-money-money considerations) (and it is fun have an excuse to be outside as much as possible adding chems and doing loads of tests {don't tell my DH that I way over do the testing}) so I'm glad to let other people "beta" test it.

gg=alice

Interesting - just went to hybridpumps.com and their HFD looks identical to the one I saw at the show.

Bruce - you seem to like the pump you got from them (the X3?) - was there a feature/price reason you went with them - vs. Jandy's E-pump or the Intelliflo VS/VF/SVRS?

taekwondodo said:
Interesting - just went to hybridpumps.com and their HFD looks identical to the one I saw at the show.

Bruce - you seem to like the pump you got from them (the X3?) - was there a feature/price reason you went with them - vs. Jandy's E-pump or the Intelliflo VS/VF/SVRS?

I'm running the X2 (I had a 1 HP StaRite pump before that), which is good up to 2 HP, so way big enough for me. I run big pipe (2 1/2" and 3") on my pool and spa, and I am able to push water efficiently at about 2,200 rpm and 2 amps with this configuration.

Biggest reason I went with them is that they do not require a controller to operate, unlike the Pentair pump (I have a controller but not all of my customers do, and I think it is wrong that I am forced to sell a variable speed pump now, which means they have to buy automation to make them work properly, if they don't have any). I've never really been a fan of any of Jandy's stuff other than their old (RS) controllers. I like Pentair product and use a lot of it, but I feel they kind of "rushed to market" with their pumps to be first, and could have done a better job. I truly feel they are playing catch up to Hybrid in the variable speed pump market in my area (they aren't real widespread available yet). John and Lisa are great to work with at Hybrid also!

I am happy with my Hybrid pump (much quieter than the Pentair also!), and make no excuses when I show them to a customer. They are a great pump, save lots of money and have fantastic support. What's not to like about that :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
taekwondodo said:
Well we're both in CA, a Title 20 requires some form of timer/controller between low and high-speed. Is this built into the X2? What about price compared to the Intelliflo?

John can add a switch or allow for a dual time clock application. He is very good at accommodating, and will definitely go the extra mile to make you happy!

I haven't honestly compared the pricing between the two. I am sure I can get that for you if you like and send you a PM (not sure that should be put out on the site for all to see!). Let me know if you would like me to do that and I will make a few calls!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.