I am so ready to use my pool

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
I just moved in Oct of 09 to our new house. They pool has been swim ready since November. I am so ready to use my pool. Everyone here is not ready for the hot weather but I am. I am like a little kid on christmas awaiting the day I will be able to jump in.

I seem to recall that you've already taken a dip... while the chlorine was sky high from shocking. :mrgreen:

Up here in the (almost) frozen north central portion of California the recent high air temperatures have encouraged me ... but the water is still stuck at 55 degrees F. Last year we had 70 degree water by the 3rd week of March (w/no solar cover use) and were swimming by late April. Maybe not this year.

polyvue said:
I seem to recall that you've already taken a dip... while the chlorine was sky high from shocking. :mrgreen:

Up here in the (almost) frozen north central portion of California the recent high air temperatures have encouraged me ... but the water is still stuck at 55 degrees F. Last year we had 70 degree water by the 3rd week of March (w/no solar cover use) and were swimming by late April. Maybe not this year.

That was about a 5 second dip. I am talking about some real use haha.

If there is Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water, then even the shock level we recommend where the Free Chlorine (FC) is around 40% of the CYA level has as much active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) as a pool with 0.6 ppm FC and no CYA, so far lower than most indoor pools. This is very, very far from being dangerous. The only issue with a high FC is if you were to ingest the water, but even so you'd have to drink a lot. EPA limits of 4 mg/L (ppm) for drinking water assume roughly 2 quarts per day. So shocking a pool to 20 ppm FC say for 50 ppm CYA means drinking around 1-1/2 cups of pool water to get to the EPA limit. Even then, this is a one-time exposure while the EPA limit is based on drinking every day. Your skin does absorb some water, but not that much. The bulk of the chlorine (95+%) is bound to CYA and those compounds most likely do not get absorbed through the skin (as described here where CYA absorption is minimal so chlorine bound to CYA is probably similar).

Me, too!

I've owned this thing since October 20 and have yet to jump in! And it looks so inviting. I have heated up the hot tub section a couple times and soaked until my fingers got all pruney -and lived to tell about it despite Chlorine levels in the mid 20s!

No red eyes, no flaking skin, no rashes, no bleached out swimsuit. High CYA will do that for ya :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
polyvue said:

In our "we should be sweating by now" climate, usually average high daytime air temps for Feb around 60, we have averaged in the mid 40s for Feb. My water temp was 48 yesterday. :shock:

I am so tired of clouds and rain. Might as well be living in Seattle. :? I think we've exceeded our average yearly cloudy days in just Jan and Feb and record rains.

On an upside the Texas wild flowers are supposed to be unusually spectacular this year; that is is they ever get any sun and aren't drowned or rotted. :roll:

It even snowed last week and was predicted even for yesterday. Thank goodness it didn't. :whoot:

SPRING, open, open, open, open..............

geekgranny said:
I am so tired of clouds and rain. Might as well be living in Seattle. :?
Seattle winters aren't grim because of clouds and rain; you're so far north that it's dark all the time. In winter I would get up, roust the kids, shlep them to daycare, and drive to work--all in the dark, Around 8:30-9:00 it would start to turn gray. Around 4:00 it would be dark again. Go home. In the dark.

People go nuts about Christmas lights up there, even if they don't actually bother much with Christmas. It's an excuse to have a lot of lights on.
--paulr
who lived up that way for 6 years

PaulR said:
geekgranny said:
I am so tired of clouds and rain. Might as well be living in Seattle. :?
Seattle winters aren't grim because of clouds and rain; you're so far north that it's dark all the time. In winter I would get up, roust the kids, shlep them to daycare, and drive to work--all in the dark, Around 8:30-9:00 it would start to turn gray. Around 4:00 it would be dark again. Go home. In the dark.

That, too, for us, past three months, even though sun sets a little later in day here but clouds make it seem much earlier; (Savings Time) Dec 1=4:20, Jan 1=4:31, Feb 1=4:58, March 1=5:22. I've spent most days (which are most days in week) working outside in rain or drizzle and mud shoes or boots. Of course I don't work outside when we have "toad chokers" with many days, wet and dry, 60+ mph wind gust. I think I've suffered some SAD (seasonal affective disorder) this winter. A couple of weeks ago I sat out by the pool for several hours, pants legs and sleeves rolled up, sunglasses and cap, but fleece vest on, soaking up the sun; temps low 40s. I felt unusually good that day. Of course it couldn't have been the ale. :wink:

PaulR said:
People go nuts about Christmas lights up there, even if they don't actually bother much with Christmas. It's an excuse to have a lot of lights on.
--paulr
who lived up that way for 6 years

They do here too. What you say gets me thinking. We are so used to so much intense, high UV sunlight all year I think maybe people go nuts because they, also, need more light, even during an "average" winter. I've kept up the holiday tree, removed decorations but not tiny warm white lights. We have decided to keep it up as our "pagan" tree, decorated with some non gaudy gold glittery items and special nature items we collect from outside. Our topping is a raccoon tail taken from the raccoon that 13 yr old, Hilda Rottie dragged in the house, late one night (not quite dead yet - still clawing and screeching), a few years ago. We were going to rehabilitate it but it died a few minutes later. (she dropped it on command but we had to catch it and yes, we wore arm length heavy leather gloves). I imagine well have a few long, draped shed snake skins on the tree too, and pretty soon, unless DH says that's going too far. :hammer: Anyway, the lighted tree, 24/7 sure helps to brighten our moods.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.