Cell replacement

bop

May 15, 2009
I have a Zodiak Duoclear swg. I have been using the cell that came with it for the last two summers and has been working fine. The little timer light on the panel was telling me at the end of the season last fall that I needed to replace it. Well I was a little skeptical since the literature states that the light is just a timer therefore doesn't actually analyze the cells condition.

Well the weather is turning here so I have started thinking about the pool and how much fun it will be in a few short months and that I needed to check into the cell and about spit coffee all over the laptop when I saw how much they want for replacement cell.....approaching 6 bills!

1. Do I really need to replace this cell every two summers or do I just run it until it stops doing its job.
2. What should I be looking for when I inspect the cell. When I looked at it last fall I pulled it apart and the plates looked good, to me that is. They were not corroded and intact.
3. Is there a cheaper way to replace the cell? i.e. someone who rebuilds them or something along that line.

I will do whatever it is I have to do to have a healthy pool and my family absolutely loves the salt option but it kills me to pay that much money for something that I can not see that value in.
Thanks for your advice!

When Edsel Ford said to his father, Henry, I want to build cars, his dad said sure, if you let me make the parts.

Wait till it dies. Then put in either an Auto-Pilot or Pentair and with good chems and bring the cell in the house in the winter, expect 5-6 years from a cell. Bringing the cell in the house (not the garage) keeps the cell from being exposed to winter temps. The cell plates don't like that.

Scott

have you tried cleaning it with acid? it might be just dirty.

Also is it the cell that asks for replacement or the cartridge? If it's the cell, how old exactly is it, any chance it could be still covered by warranty?

Temperature has no effect on storage of the cell, unless you have rapid changes from 0 to -50C and back, and even then - i doubt it.

The DuoClear has two sides, a SWG cell and a Nature2 cartridge. The replace light refers to the Nature2 cartridge. The Nature2 side puts metals in your water, which we do not recommend doing. I would never replace the Nature2 cartridge. The other side, the electrode cell, is replaced far less often, based on a visual inspection. When some of the cell plates start to wear away significantly, especially at the corners, it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for the info.....I thought the light was for the cell but it makes sense that it would be for the minerals......I wont replace that part and knowing that I should get at least 5-6 years out of the cell makes me feel much better. That makes it around $100 a year which feels much better.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.