What type of heating system do you recommend?

JWB

Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

We live in Southern California. We have a 16x32' IG 26,880 gallon pool with an automatic vinyl pool cover. Over the weekend I successfully installed a new Sta-Rite DE filter. During the installation, I removed an old and rusted Purex Tropical Isle NG heater that's gone unused for four seasons now. Now I'm thinking I'd like to install a new heating system to extend our summer a bit. Natural Gas is inexpensive during the summer months. I've had bills of only $18 at times.

Would NG still be a good choice (as opposed to a Heat Pump) and if so, what BTU rating would you recommend for this size pool? The water temperature averages about 72 in May but I'd like to bump that up to around 83-85 degrees starting on Friday and ending on Sunday. Thanks for any responses.

1st, a 16 x 32 with a 3-1/2 to 8' depth just several hundred gallons under 20,000 gallons. Unless your dimensions are off or your depths are deeper, you needed to know that.

2nd, you will want a solar cover too. This will reduce the overnight losses due to evaporation. It will also help the pool stay a little warmer in the sun, and reduce chlorine loss because less water is exposed to air, reducing evaporation.

Adding: Forgot you have an auto-cover. You don't need it but others without would.

3rd, find out if your gas meter can accommodate a pool heater's demands, and if not, how much is it to get a bigger meter.

4th, The size you want is a 400,000 BTU unit. This is the largest residential size. It works fastest and has the same efficiency as smaller models. Think of it like this: 1 BTU = energy needed to heat 1 lb of water 1 degree. 1 gallon- 8.35 lbs. It will take about 165000 BTUs to heat your pool one degree. A 400K heater will run about 84% efficient. Losses due to surrounding conditions with the solar cover in place may add another 5% loss and more without the solar cover. That amounts to about a 2 degree rise per hour of operation. Smaller heaters are available but that means you need to run the pump longer, not cheap in your neck of the woods. Your going to burn the same amount of gas to get to where you want to be and to hold it.

Have a great day!

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
1st, a 16 x 32 with a 3-1/2 to 8' depth just several hundred gallons under 20,000 gallons. Unless your dimensions are off or your depths are deeper, you needed to know that.

2nd, you will want a solar cover too. This will reduce the overnight losses due to evaporation. It will also help the pool stay a little warmer in the sun, and reduce chlorine loss because less water is exposed to air, reducing evaporation.

Adding: Forgot you have an auto-cover. You don't need it but others without would.

3rd, find out if your gas meter can accommodate a pool heater's demands, and if not, how much is it to get a bigger meter.

4th, The size you want is a 400,000 BTU unit. This is the largest residential size. It works fastest and has the same efficiency as smaller models. Think of it like this: 1 BTU = energy needed to heat 1 lb of water 1 degree. 1 gallon- 8.35 lbs. It will take about 165000 BTUs to heat your pool one degree. A 400K heater will run about 84% efficient. Losses due to surrounding conditions with the solar cover in place may add another 5% loss and more without the solar cover. That amounts to about a 2 degree rise per hour of operation. Smaller heaters are available but that means you need to run the pump longer, not cheap in your neck of the woods. Your going to burn the same amount of gas to get to where you want to be and to hold it.

Have a great day!

Scott

Excellent advice.

I am in so cal as well, and have 12 panels and a 400K btu unit.
It cost me 5K to relocate and add a bigger meter so be careful you can run into more cost overruns than lockheed very quickly.

If you add solar you can get away with a lower BTU unit as the 2 can be additive and really kick your pool up when needed (during the day of course)

I would NEVER build a pool without solar again and have used my pool more in the last 2 year than I did the 10 prior years because I can afford to keep it hot now and can heat it up quickly for guests in the offseason without it taking days to do so.

Let us know how you go, and if you want to stop by and see what I have going on im happy to show you. my pools at 78 today off the roof alone using a 750 watt (1HP) solar tap speed. If I need more than that I can kick the gas or run the epump faster - or both.

Uncle Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.