New pool leaking

Feb 11, 2010
Pool was filled about a week ago. I have been filingl it every other day since the initial fill to keep the water up to the overflow drain. It is a 15k gallon in-ground gunite pool.

After reading around the forum decided to do the bucket test. I filled the pool up to the overflow and started the test. Lost just over an inch of water in 24 hours. Since then pool has not lost any water (or the rate has significantly decreased). Both pumps have been running off and on due to freeze guard.

Anyone have any suggestions? Pool will be drained in 5 days for them to re-acid wash the pebble. Would like to have some suggestions to relay to PB so problem can be taken care of then instead of having to do another drain / fill.

Welcome to TFP!

You mention two pumps. That seems to indicate a little more complex install. Waterfall? Spa? Cleaner?

What kind of filter do you have? If it has a backwash/waste line, have you checked the end of the line for water flow during pump operation?

I'd repeat the bucket test with the pump running to help isolate the problem.

Your builder will want to know ASAP so they can figure it out before draining.

Thanks for the reply. Filter is the Pentair clean and clear 420. No backwash line. There are three pumps total, main pool pump, one for the water features, and booster pump for polaris cleaner.

Bucket test was started Wednesday AM. During the test all pumps ran due to freeze guard / scheduling. By Thursday PM, water level stopped decreasing. Since the water level has stopped dropping, all pumps have been running due to freeze guard / scheduling.

Try looking around the skimmer. I had a similar problem and found out that the tile around and inside the skimmer was not grouted. Sure enough the PB grouted it and the problem went away.

Thanks for the tips. Will have them check the conduit when they drain it.

renovxpt - the bottom of the overflow drain is 3 inches from bottom of tile. I lost 1.3 inches of water in 24 to 36 hours. Level has been stable over the last few days leaving 1.5" of tile under water. Skimmers still work fine. I am just frustrated that my brand new pool will not hold water up to where it is supposed to.

Brentr - from what I can tell the tile in the skimmer is grouted. I will look at this closer in daylight tomorrow.

Check the skimmer mouth where it meets the gunite. There might be a small gap. If there is, run on drains only, lower the water just below the skimmers, use a shop vac to remove any water in there, and seal it with GE clear silicone with Microban. Let it cure 24 hours if the temps are under 60. 70 and above only needs 3 hours. Then refill and retest.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.