Pool upgrades are they worth it

JasonLion said:
If you have popup cleaning heads you do tend to need a comparatively large pump. I hadn't seen you mention those before.

Having either a two speed pump, or a small pump for when you are circulating water, and not running either the spa or the cleaning system, would save you money. How much of an advantage it would be depends on the cost of electricity in your area. The cleaning system means you can't use the lower flow rate much of the time, so the advantage is not as clear cut as it would be without the cleaning system.
Reefkeep, are you on JEA power? If so, you are probably paying 0.12 per Kwh as I am living on the northside :-D From what I can tell this is very reasonable compared to other parts of the country. Electricity can only go up in price in the future.
Jason is correct with a 2 speed pump and now would be the time to exchange/ install. I am also considering switching to a 2 speed later this year after I have solar heat added :cheers: :cheers:

Funny you should mention solar powered pumps. I have been doing some research on them but from what I can tell they cost 5k to 8k depending on the size :( :( .
One day they will be in my price range :-D . Please post more pics.
We all love pics :party: :cheers: :cheers:

Brentr said:
Funny you should mention solar powered pumps. I have been doing some research on them but from what I can tell they cost 5k to 8k depending on the size :( :( .
One day they will be in my price range :-D . Please post more pics.
We all love pics :party: :cheers: :cheers:

Are you talking 5k to 8k including the solar panels and expecting to get same flow from the solar system pump? I've looked at going solar with 12 or 24 volt pump on and off for years. I have a couple of 90 watt panels, and some smaller panels, not in use now, and all controllers, etc and my figures came out much less. The actual pump is not so expensive as the other parts of the system. And the panels will do nothing but come down in price. eBay is a great place to find good prices on panels too.

gg=alice

gg this is a solar powered pump. These pumps are driven by their own independent solar panels. Yes they start at 5 K for a 3/4 hp pump and go up to 8K for a 2 hp pump. I think that is what I am understanding :cheers: :cheers:

I don't see how you get an ROI on an 8K pump, just don't see it....

Updates,

not much done this week

pool was acid washed, salt installed, cap tile installed.....

IMG_1031a.jpg

IMG_1032a.jpg

IMG_1033a.jpg

IMG_1035a.jpg

IMG_1036a.jpg

IMG_1037a.jpg

Thinking about Adding solar, at our home and patio show they had some specials that seem tempting.....

Reefkeep,

Your pool looks amazing! It is a very exciting process. This forum has been such a huge help with our pool build. We did add another pump after getting advice on here and really wanted pebblesheen but it was 7 or 8k to upgrade :O( I have to say I am very happy with the medium gray plaster so far. We are ready to change from chlorine to salt this coming Monday and we can't wait until it is warm enough to swim in the pool.

I can't wait to see your pictures when you fill the pool. I love the pavers!!

Looking good, we are going with solar and it should be installed in the next couple of weeks. You equipment pad looks great. Keep the pics coming....

reefkeep said:
Add an Intellichlor IC20. "The PSU for it is in the cabinet." Are you saying the power supply comes with the Easy touch 4?

Yes, the PS is already mounted in the ET4. Even better, you can use the ET to control the settings of the IC20. Whereas the IC20 control pad only has power settings in 20% increments, the ET can control it in 1% increments. If you get the wireless controller option, then I'm pretty sure that all functions are available on the wireless as well. The ET also has some basic diagnostic features built in, like salt levels and various error messages.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
peterl1365 said:
reefkeep said:
Add an Intellichlor IC20. "The PSU for it is in the cabinet." Are you saying the power supply comes with the Easy touch 4?

Yes, the PS is already mounted in the ET4. Even better, you can use the ET to control the settings of the IC20. Whereas the IC20 control pad only has power settings in 20% increments, the ET can control it in 1% increments. If you get the wireless controller option, then I'm pretty sure that all functions are available on the wireless as well. The ET also has some basic diagnostic features built in, like salt levels and various error messages.

Woops. Didn't realize this thread was three pages long. I replied to the last post on the first page thinking that it was a recent question. From the pictures, it looks like you've already settled on an ET controller.

Brentr said:
gg this is a solar powered pump. These pumps are driven by their own independent solar panels. Yes they start at 5 K for a 3/4 hp pump and go up to 8K for a 2 hp pump. I think that is what I am understanding :cheers: :cheers:

This is not a really good link but I've run out of time for now, sorry.

http://www.nevadasolarliving.com/content/view/30/44/

Check out this link. I just did a quick search on google and this is the first and only link I went to. Of course the cost of just the DC pump will vary according to what "hp" you need/want and it can't be just any DC pump. It has to be designed for continuous use. I know the DC pumps I was looking at, to replace a 2.23 hp 220 volt, AC pump, came in well under 1 K. When I was researching, in past few years, from what I can remember, I think you downsize your hp for the DC pump from your current AC hp pump rating. Individual pumps will have different wattage needs (how PV panels are rated along with voltage, 12, 24, 36, etc.) but I just can't imagine PV panels for one pump + cost of pump costing nearly as much as 8K.

Now if you add batteries and a controller for storing energy to the system, the cost will mount up BUT most PV powered pool pump systems, that I am aware of, are run somewhat directly from the PV panels and only during daylight hours.

My calculation for my pool was a fraction of $8 K. But I do have everything else, already, except for additional PV panels, the pump, and the manual controller to switch between AC and DC pumps. It's recommended to keep the AC pump for cloudy days or when you want to run pump at night. I have a wind generator too, 500 watts, that I was thinking about using somehow for my pool but that is not figured in with the PV pump system I mentioned above. My calculation does not include paying for labor as I would do it myself and build my own racks on the SE facing, 2nd level deck, that is/has never been used.

Maybe we aren't talking about the same "apples" or "oranges".

gg=alice

$5K to $8K is for the entire system installed, pump, panels, mounts, wiring, labor, etc. The systems I have seen are all in that price range, or higher, and none of them move as much water as the standard AC pump they are designed to replace (which is usually fine as pumps are almost always oversized).

reefkeep, looks great. When is the party :-D We will bring the burgers :goodjob: Love the spa :whoot:
Our solar is expected to be installed tomorrow. I will start a new post this week. :cheers: :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.