Carbonated pool water

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
I pumped out several inches of water before dawn this morning when the rain was starting. Then I went off to work, telling my wife at what level to pull the plug before she left for her errands. When I got home, it was very high again. The rain must have added 6" today.

From reading here, I expect to see the pH very acidic - I haven't tested it yet, since it hasn't had time to circulate. So I turned on the filter and brushed some debris around by the light of the pool. Where the hot tub spills into the pool, it's very easy to see the bubbles - I have a carbonation cloud about 3' diameter and 4' deep. It's really neat looking. Too bad the picture can't capture the effervescence!

Attachments

• bubbles.jpg
    bubbles.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 124
People have different experiences. Lots of people find that the drops bouncing when they hit the water will aerate enough to counteract the incremental acidity and see the pH go up. Normally with a cover I see the opposite (pH drops a little because the rain is actually acidic), but yesterday's rain came with serious wind that rolled the cover up the long way, and my pH just read 8.2.
--paulr

Really interesting thread here! I wish that I could see what Richard is describing in person as that would be something to see.

I have never noticed much of a pH change with rain here; even lots of rain. Perhaps this has to do with where you live. Usually, I will notice little more than some water cloudiness and, quite often, a big drop in FC. In the spring, rain will often add a large amount of dust (from west Texas inflow) and it takes a while to filter it down sometimes. We will also get tons of pollen in it :grrrr: .

257WbyMag said:
Really interesting thread here! I wish that I could see what Richard is describing in person as that would be something to see.

I have never noticed much of a pH change with rain here; even lots of rain. Perhaps this has to do with where you live. Usually, I will notice little more than some water cloudiness and, quite often, a big drop in FC. In the spring, rain will often add a large amount of dust (from west Texas inflow) and it takes a while to filter it down sometimes. We will also get tons of pollen in it :grrrr: .

Being somewhat of a neighbor (probably 40-50 miles south) I usually see pretty minimal changes in pH from rain, also. Dust is constant, of course, and I can attest to the difficulty in filtering it out. I'm pretty sure that is the reason most of the people around here (all that I know of in fact) use DE filters that can't always get it all filtered out.

gg=alice

257WbyMag said:
It's not as impressive today as it was last night. But you can see that the water over the spillway isn't moving all that fast, and it's not foaming, yet the bubbles start quite a ways down and rise to the surface.
[youtube:164vlysl]rwGhl6Umpao[/youtube:164vlysl]
Hmmm.... doesn't display in preview mode, let's hope it works for real or else you'll have to copy-n-paste.
Fixed. JasonLion

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.