Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about raising my CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about raising my CH

I ran a full set of numbers today since I haven't done it in awhile. Here they are:
    FC 2
    CC 0
    TC 2
    pH 7.4
    T/A 50
    CH 160
    CYA 70
    Temp43
    Salt 3300
    The CH number troubles me more than anything. I don't want to damage my gelcoat and it's gonna be $250 worth of Calcium Chloride Should I be doing that now, even with winter still hanging around???
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about raising my CH

You should be fine where you are now. Raise CH a little when it is convenient, no need to do it right away.

I don't understand why you are saying that calcium chloride will cost $250. By my calculation you need roughly 20 lbs of calcium to raise CH to around 250, which even at pool store prices will be around $40, or way less if you can find some DowFlake or Tetra. Even raising CH to 350 should cost less than $70 at a pool store (or $15 at a hardware store).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about raising my CH

Duh, I crunched my numbers wrong You're exactly right Jason. Whew, what a relief. I don't know what I'd do without you guys. I'm not sure what Dow Flake or Tetra are. Are the amounts to add the same as Calcium Chloride?
    Thanks a bunch for the quick reply. I'm going to put some chlorine in tonight, once the temps get below freezing and my pump kicks on
    Geeeeez, I'm sooo ready for spring.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html