Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winnter Motorcycle Trip to Labrador Canada

1. Back To Top    #1

Winnter Motorcycle Trip to Labrador Canada

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful wintery weather.

I have just completed a trip through Northern Quebec and on to Cartwright NL, as a support vehicle and driver for four men riding motorcycles. Round trip from home in Southern Ontario approx. 7200 KM-about 4300 miles. It was quite an adventure . I create slide shows set to music as one of my hobbies so I've taken some photos and video clips and created a couple of shows of the trip. If you would like to view them , follow the links to YouTube below.One is titled Labrador Frozen Butt Tour, Time: 5:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-9g1yX0U8Q

and the other one is titled Running of the Caribou Time: 4:49
    It's about the caribou we had to get around every few miles when we were way up in the frozen boonies riding on a snow and ice packed road between Churchill Falls and Goose Bay, NL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHAabpQ48oY

Cheers
    oletrout
    Gerry- the frozen Canuck
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winnter Motorcycle Trip to Labrador Canada

Thanks for both of these! I guess February is the only time of year you can do such a trip without being carried off by the skeeters

I've always wanted to go to Cartwright. My husband, himself a Canuck, has tried to convince me there are no roads that far North. I'm making him watch these videos.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

Gerry how is your knees after a ride in that temperature?
    It's an awesome video with great pictures but I can't help to think that it must help if you are a lil bit crazy to come up with the idea to ride a bike in the middle of the winter But I am not nonetheless impressed
    I would be impressed by myself if the thought would cross my mind.

I guess the day will be fullfilled for you if the Canadians take the gold medal tonight. I will sit up and watch the game but I can't really make my mind up on wich team I shall keep un.

//Mats
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

4. Back To Top    #4

What an amazing adventure to undertake.

My fav is "Run Forrest, run"!! Great music with the trotting caribou

BTW, after viewing the vids, I asked DH to add another log to the fire.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Further to the shows I posted already regarding the Labrador Motorcycle trip, there is one more element to it, and that's the full story of one of the riders in the group who traveled from Baie Comeau to Cartwright.

Steve Becraft's historic winter motorcycle ride across Canada Jan/Feb 2010.

Steve did a 14,385 KM return trip from Sooke B.C. to Cartwright Labrador on his BMW Motorcycle, a feat never before accomplished by anyone. He left Sooke B.C. in January and met with myself and 3 other riders in Baie Comeau, Q.C. From there we traversed the Trans Labrador Highway to Cartwright Labrador and back. They were the first motorcycle riders in history to make this trip and I was fortunate enough to be along as their Support Vehicle to witness it and a portion of Steve's trip as he headed home.

After saying goodbye to his Frozen Butt Tour friends he rode the 1300KM to our home in Stoney Creek On. for a few days R&R, before departing for his own home in Sooke, B.C on the last leg of his epic winter motorcycle ride across Canada. This is a show commemorating Steve's awesome adventure.

Congratulations Steve. Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogvxl46PX9g
    Southern Ontario. Concrete Lazy L shape pool painted in 2005 with 2 part epoxy paint ,42 x 20 , 2.5 ft deep in shallow end , 8 ft in deep end, with what i calculate as an average depth of 6 to 6.5 ft. or approx 38300 Gal. 1HP pump , Hayward sand filter model S-220T rated at 2.64 ft.2 , 52 GPM , Intellichlor IC40 CG