Resin versus AL pool strength

KurtG

Feb 26, 2010
Annapolis, MD
New here, but have gone through just about every post.

We are looking at several 18' 52" pools on the internet to install ourselves. Most of which are resin, but one that is AL. The resin pools seem to say they have 8" seats & uprights and the AL pool says it has a 6" seat.

I was curious to the flex of the AL pool versus the resin one and whether there are advantages of one versus the other. We live near the bay so I think a strictly steel or galv pool is out.

Thanks

Just my opinion from a point of practicality and aesthetics...Resin pools are the way to go...I have several friends who are pool owners and have metal, or aluminum pools, top rails and uprights...and the one thing they complain about is the metal scratches and then rusts...Especially from the eyelets on a winter cover...I have had my resin pool for two years and not a poc mark or scrathc or rust spot...and if it gets dirty...you just take a little spray bottle with water and bleach and spray and scrub...It's all good.

I'd have to say we looked at both, and although we ended up going used (long story) I would have gone aluminum over resin myself after looking at a few used pools & displays. The aluminum rails tended to maintain their shape and color better than the resin. We looked at a local store that had both and although they told us the resin wouldn't fade in the sun it was very evident by their display models that were outside that they did fade... more so than the aluminum which faded a bit, but evenly unlike the resin.

We also had concern about the resin cracking in our freezing and thawing every winter as our climate is ever-changing and we have multiple freezes and thaws in one season.

Suziqzer said:
I'd have to say we looked at both, and although we ended up going used (long story) I would have gone aluminum over resin myself after looking at a few used pools & displays. The aluminum rails tended to maintain their shape and color better than the resin. We looked at a local store that had both and although they told us the resin wouldn't fade in the sun it was very evident by their display models that were outside that they did fade... more so than the aluminum which faded a bit, but evenly unlike the resin.

We also had concern about the resin cracking in our freezing and thawing every winter as our climate is ever-changing and we have multiple freezes and thaws in one season.

I live in Northwest Indiana and winters can be punishing...the last two were...My resin has come through just fine...No cracking, no discoloring, and no structural issues. It takes a beating in the summer time. I think you are good either way...I just like it because there is no rust possibility.

cubbybeave08 said:
Just my opinion from a point of practicality and aesthetics...Resin pools are the way to go...I have several friends who are pool owners and have metal, or aluminum pools, top rails and uprights...and the one thing they complain about is the metal scratches and then rusts...Especially from the eyelets on a winter cover...I have had my resin pool for two years and not a poc mark or scrathc or rust spot...and if it gets dirty...you just take a little spray bottle with water and bleach and spray and scrub...It's all good.

Aluminum doesn’t rust, at least not the way iron/steel does. Aluminum oxide actually protects the metal beneath it from further oxidization, which is to say it you scratch whatever coating is on the aluminum off, the aluminum will grow a new, protective coating (dull rather than bright).

Grape Ape said:
cubbybeave08 said:

Aluminum doesn’t rust, at least not the way iron/steel does. Aluminum oxide actually protects the metal beneath it from further oxidization, which is to say it you scratch whatever coating is on the aluminum off, the aluminum will grow a new, protective coating (dull rather than bright).

That is cool...I did not know that. See that is why I come here...TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.