Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Resin versus AL pool strength

1. Back To Top    #1

Resin versus AL pool strength

New here, but have gone through just about every post.

We are looking at several 18' 52" pools on the internet to install ourselves. Most of which are resin, but one that is AL. The resin pools seem to say they have 8" seats & uprights and the AL pool says it has a 6" seat.

I was curious to the flex of the AL pool versus the resin one and whether there are advantages of one versus the other. We live near the bay so I think a strictly steel or galv pool is out.

Thanks
    18' round, 52" deep Kamika/Nuance by trevi;
    1HP/2 speed Hayward pump/150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Aqua Trol

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Resin versus AL pool strength

Welcome KurtG! Glad to have you with us. Someone will be by soon to help you with the information you need.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Aluminum is stiffer than resin so it doesn't need to be as wide to achieve similar strength. I don't think you'll have issues with either when considering the ocean air. I haven't seen them have issues here at the Jersey Shore.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG
    New here, but have gone through just about every post.
    Welcome to the forum. If what you say is true, the examination room is down the hall and to the right.... please undress, the doctor will be right with you.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Just my opinion from a point of practicality and aesthetics...Resin pools are the way to go...I have several friends who are pool owners and have metal, or aluminum pools, top rails and uprights...and the one thing they complain about is the metal scratches and then rusts...Especially from the eyelets on a winter cover...I have had my resin pool for two years and not a poc mark or scrathc or rust spot...and if it gets dirty...you just take a little spray bottle with water and bleach and spray and scrub...It's all good.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd have to say we looked at both, and although we ended up going used (long story) I would have gone aluminum over resin myself after looking at a few used pools & displays. The aluminum rails tended to maintain their shape and color better than the resin. We looked at a local store that had both and although they told us the resin wouldn't fade in the sun it was very evident by their display models that were outside that they did fade... more so than the aluminum which faded a bit, but evenly unlike the resin.

We also had concern about the resin cracking in our freezing and thawing every winter as our climate is ever-changing and we have multiple freezes and thaws in one season.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    I'd have to say we looked at both, and although we ended up going used (long story) I would have gone aluminum over resin myself after looking at a few used pools & displays. The aluminum rails tended to maintain their shape and color better than the resin. We looked at a local store that had both and although they told us the resin wouldn't fade in the sun it was very evident by their display models that were outside that they did fade... more so than the aluminum which faded a bit, but evenly unlike the resin.

We also had concern about the resin cracking in our freezing and thawing every winter as our climate is ever-changing and we have multiple freezes and thaws in one season.
    I live in Northwest Indiana and winters can be punishing...the last two were...My resin has come through just fine...No cracking, no discoloring, and no structural issues. It takes a beating in the summer time. I think you are good either way...I just like it because there is no rust possibility.
    Beave

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Just my opinion from a point of practicality and aesthetics...Resin pools are the way to go...I have several friends who are pool owners and have metal, or aluminum pools, top rails and uprights...and the one thing they complain about is the metal scratches and then rusts...Especially from the eyelets on a winter cover...I have had my resin pool for two years and not a poc mark or scrathc or rust spot...and if it gets dirty...you just take a little spray bottle with water and bleach and spray and scrub...It's all good.
    Aluminum doesn’t rust, at least not the way iron/steel does. Aluminum oxide actually protects the metal beneath it from further oxidization, which is to say it you scratch whatever coating is on the aluminum off, the aluminum will grow a new, protective coating (dull rather than bright).
    20,000 Gallon kidney sort of a sand filtered gunite in ground pool w/ hot tub.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Grape Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Aluminum doesn’t rust, at least not the way iron/steel does. Aluminum oxide actually protects the metal beneath it from further oxidization, which is to say it you scratch whatever coating is on the aluminum off, the aluminum will grow a new, protective coating (dull rather than bright).
    That is cool...I did not know that. See that is why I come here...TO LEARN SOMETHING NEW!
    Beave