Manual valves...

Apr 15, 2008
Edison, NJ
Ok, I checked out the Hayward true union and the jandy never lube gate valves that were recommended on this forum. One is a ball valve the other a gate valve. Question is, which is better in your opinion? Any thoughts on these two would be appreciated.

Also, I have a cartridge filter, how often should these be replaced, One is a couple seasons old the other one season old, I currently switch them out every month or so. Is there a point in time when the filter is no longer functional. I do clean and inspect them regularly.Any thoughts on this would likewise be highly appreciated.

While I believe that the ball valve is better, but in this application the Jandy gate valve should be all you ever need. You're not looking at a high pressure application and you don't really care if it's an absolute bubble tight seal. Also, if it lasts as long as most people here say they do I wouldn't have any problem recommending them.

Thanks for the quick reply,I was always of the impression that a ball valve was the better of the two.But I'm a little skeptical of the on/off handle on the ball valve as this is the type that failed on me. But as I said it was a cheaper std valve that came with the pool. I do like the type of handle that comes on the jandy.You are probably right for this application a gate valve may work just as well.

Any thoughts on the cartridge filter question.Thanks again.

As long as the filter cartridge looks alright, doesn't have any tears or scaling, seats into the filter housing properly, and goes back to a reasonable starting filter pressure after you clean it, you can keep using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.