Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual valves...

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual valves...

Ok, I checked out the Hayward true union and the jandy never lube gate valves that were recommended on this forum. One is a ball valve the other a gate valve. Question is, which is better in your opinion? Any thoughts on these two would be appreciated.

Also, I have a cartridge filter, how often should these be replaced, One is a couple seasons old the other one season old, I currently switch them out every month or so. Is there a point in time when the filter is no longer functional. I do clean and inspect them regularly.Any thoughts on this would likewise be highly appreciated.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Manual valves...

While I believe that the ball valve is better, but in this application the Jandy gate valve should be all you ever need. You're not looking at a high pressure application and you don't really care if it's an absolute bubble tight seal. Also, if it lasts as long as most people here say they do I wouldn't have any problem recommending them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply,I was always of the impression that a ball valve was the better of the two.But I'm a little skeptical of the on/off handle on the ball valve as this is the type that failed on me. But as I said it was a cheaper std valve that came with the pool. I do like the type of handle that comes on the jandy.You are probably right for this application a gate valve may work just as well.

Any thoughts on the cartridge filter question.Thanks again.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as the filter cartridge looks alright, doesn't have any tears or scaling, seats into the filter housing properly, and goes back to a reasonable starting filter pressure after you clean it, you can keep using it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

And, again thank you for you expert input.

njmarine
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame