SWG for an in-ground tub

Goughy

Feb 26, 2010
We are nearing completion of an in-ground spa (no pool) and are being asked by our pool builder if we would like a salt system.

Is an SWG necessary or useful for a spa or is it overkill?

I agree with Strannik, it's probably going to be cheaper to sanitize with bleach. With a stand alone spa you're going to be dumping the water periodically so you'll be wasting the salt fill and having to re-add it every fill.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've made an incorrect assumption.

Certainly not a correction, (I think bleach will always be cheaper) but I saw a product at the Orlando Pool Show that intrigued me. It was a SWG that was made for spas. Pretty close to brand new, I think.

It simply plugged into a 110v source (thru a transformer that reduced to 12v) and then was draped over the edge of the spa into the water and it began generating chlorine. It was around $250-275.

It had no moving parts (you "tapped" it to change percentage output) so it was well sealed. If you removed it from the spa, it shut off.

The only thing I questioned was by simply draping it over the wall, I wasn't sure if the concentrated chlorine production that close to the fiberglass wall would have any negative effect.

duraleigh said:
Certainly not a correction, (I think bleach will always be cheaper) but I saw a product at the Orlando Pool Show that intrigued me. It was a SWG that was made for spas. Pretty close to brand new, I think.

It simply plugged into a 110v source (thru a transformer that reduced to 12v) and then was draped over the edge of the spa into the water and it began generating chlorine. It was around $250-275.

It had no moving parts (you "tapped" it to change percentage output) so it was well sealed. If you removed it from the spa, it shut off.

The only thing I questioned was by simply draping it over the wall, I wasn't sure if the concentrated chlorine production that close to the fiberglass wall would have any negative effect.
Nexa Spa made by American SPS who make the Resilience Salt Systems, I reccomend they hang it in front of the spa's skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.