Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG for an in-ground tub

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG for an in-ground tub

We are nearing completion of an in-ground spa (no pool) and are being asked by our pool builder if we would like a salt system.

Is an SWG necessary or useful for a spa or is it overkill?
    27,000 gal liner pool. Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter, Dolphin Dynamic robot cleaner, Dolphin Supreme M4 pool cleaner, Aquatemp FT40Kst 3 phase Heatpump, Pentair IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW pump, Aquamatic Hydromatic safety pool cover, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SC-60 salt water generator. 2 Inch piping throughout.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG for an in-ground tub

it depends

it's more convenient to use SWG, but will probably be cheaper to just add bleach manually

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with Strannik, it's probably going to be cheaper to sanitize with bleach. With a stand alone spa you're going to be dumping the water periodically so you'll be wasting the salt fill and having to re-add it every fill.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've made an incorrect assumption.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Certainly not a correction, (I think bleach will always be cheaper) but I saw a product at the Orlando Pool Show that intrigued me. It was a SWG that was made for spas. Pretty close to brand new, I think.

It simply plugged into a 110v source (thru a transformer that reduced to 12v) and then was draped over the edge of the spa into the water and it began generating chlorine. It was around $250-275.

It had no moving parts (you "tapped" it to change percentage output) so it was well sealed. If you removed it from the spa, it shut off.

The only thing I questioned was by simply draping it over the wall, I wasn't sure if the concentrated chlorine production that close to the fiberglass wall would have any negative effect.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Certainly not a correction, (I think bleach will always be cheaper) but I saw a product at the Orlando Pool Show that intrigued me. It was a SWG that was made for spas. Pretty close to brand new, I think.

It simply plugged into a 110v source (thru a transformer that reduced to 12v) and then was draped over the edge of the spa into the water and it began generating chlorine. It was around $250-275.

It had no moving parts (you "tapped" it to change percentage output) so it was well sealed. If you removed it from the spa, it shut off.

The only thing I questioned was by simply draping it over the wall, I wasn't sure if the concentrated chlorine production that close to the fiberglass wall would have any negative effect.
    Nexa Spa made by American SPS who make the Resilience Salt Systems, I reccomend they hang it in front of the spa's skimmer.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the information, everyone. I'll discuss it with the builder.
    27,000 gal liner pool. Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter, Dolphin Dynamic robot cleaner, Dolphin Supreme M4 pool cleaner, Aquatemp FT40Kst 3 phase Heatpump, Pentair IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW pump, Aquamatic Hydromatic safety pool cover, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SC-60 salt water generator. 2 Inch piping throughout.