Totally Green - Me not the pool

I did buy and add the cya yesterday.

So should I test for everything in that kit tonight, or just wait until tomorrow?

Right now we are just using the filter when we are at home, about 5 hours a day. It is still too cold to swim anyway.

Go out an get a cup of water, from 18" down below the surface, and bring it inside. Test the FC, CC, PH and TA and use the dilution method on the chlorine. Skip the CYA - its too soon to test for it (unless the conditioner/cya was the liquid formula. :)

Thanks for the quick replies, I didn't realize the time, and I have to give my baby girl a bath, so the testing is put off until tomorrow night. I will do the recommended tests and get back to you. Thanks!!!!

OK here goes......

FC = 1
CC = .5
TC = 1.5
pH = 7.5
T/A = 200
CH = 200
CYA = 20

Also, how does rainwater affect a pool? Just curious, I guess I could google that, but you all have a TON of experience, and I like to ask the experts.

Rainwater has no FC, TA, CH, or CYA, so it will dilute pretty much everything. The one effect that's harder to predict is pH; some people see a drop due to acid rain, some people see a pH rise due to the aeration effect of the raindrops hitting the pool water.

Regarding your numbers, you do want to boost your chlorine a bit. Nothing else strikes me as needed immediate attention. The CYA is still on the low side, but it's not clear to me whether everything you put in has really taken hold yet.
--paulr

OK here goes......Again!!!

FC = 8
CC = .5
TC = 8.5
pH = 7.8
T/A = 90
CH = 200
CYA = 20

I used the pool calculator, and also paid 4.99 for the app on my phone, but it doesn't seem to help me, being that each value lowers each other. So I am unsure what the real target is for my 8600 gallon pool. The app has you set up your own target, and I really don't know what that is.

For example, my supposed target for CYA is 40, but it notes that it will lower the pH. It also says that my CH should be 260? My TA at 90, should be 100, but when I add the baking soda it will raise the pH. If I fix my pH by adding the suggested borate or muriatic acid, it will lower my TA. So either I have the wrong values in the app, or if they are right, it doesn't suggest what to do first to reach my ultimate goal. Please help me. Thanks!!!

Also, it is not even warm enough here in Missouri to use the pool yet, but they installed it three weeks ago, and had to fill it to get it installed properly. So I thought, if I just left the water there it would get ugly, I am guessing that I am doing the right thing to get this water right???? How often should I be running the pump? It is a 1.0 hp sand filter pump. I would like to get an outdoor timer, any suggestions for that? What would be an ideal setup for timing of the pump running?

You can setup the target levels based on the Recommended Levels article in Pool School.

Your PH is always going to vary somewhat. You don't need to get the PH to be exact, just keep it more or less in the right range. Actually, all the levels are like that, just keep them more or less in the right range, the PH is just more so.

Right now you are doing fairly well. I suggest raising CYA to around 40 to 50 and leaving everything else more or less as is.

When you have a chance, you should put the basic specs for your pool in your signature, things like pool size, surface, pumps size. That will help us answer your questions more easily.

Run your pump for 8 hours a day for now. Later you can fine tune that.

I agree with Jason - you're numbers aren't terrible. I'd just use a little muratic acid to lower the PH down to 7.5 and don't worry about the affect on the TA - it won't be that much and as long as it's above 70 you are good.

Up your CYA - it won't affect the PH that much.

OK, now for an update.

First let me say this is the best pool website EVER!!! It is the best, the TF100 test kit is the BEST, I am so thankful to have found this information ahead of installing the pool. I have spent about 55 dollars so far on pool related chemicals, (2 ea of bleach, 2 ea of muriatic acid, borax, 1 container of cya, & 1 container of chlorine tablets). I find this amazing. I keep telling friends who have pools to check it out.

Second, I have been doing very well keeping up with good numbers.

TC = 4
PH = 7.5
TA = 110
CYA = 75

In doing this, I have noticed a few discrepancies on the recommended levels listed here on the site, and the levels recommended on the TF-100 kit. Here are the ones I noticed:

On the site for Vinyl / On the TF-100

TA 70-90+ / TA 100-120
CYA 30-50 / CYA 30-80

I was curious, why the difference?

Lastly, I wanted to know, from April to now, I was adding the muriatic acid to keep the ph down, now as of yesterday, was the first time I have ever had to add borax. Does the hot weather affect ph? The pool went from a consistent temp of 84 degrees to 88-90. How do you keep it cooler? Someone suggested blocks of ice, or add cold water from the hose. Would a solar blanket help maintain the temp of the water? It is like swimming in bath water right now, I am not a fan.

Again, thanks to all of you that have helped me. I plan to keep coming back. :)

LOL I love 88-90 degree water, perfect for night swimming :wink:

For the recommendations - if you have an SWG or water features, the lower range for TA is better. If you don't have these things 120 or so is perfectly fine. If one is using tablets, 120 is recommended.

For CYA, 30 is the lowest u would want. 50 is ideal for a non swg pool. 60-80 is for an SWG pool.

How did your CYA get so high? Your FC is too low now, refer to the chart and maintain the proper FC levels or drain out some of the water to lower the CYA level down to 50.

A fountain, run in the evening/night would help cool the pool. A solar blanket would make it warmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My CYA got too high by me not understanding how it worked in the beginning. We will be backwashing the pump in the next two weeks or so, so then I will drain and add new water.

Does anyone know why I would get a black ring on the east side of the pool? I just use a magic eraser once a month to get it off, but I was wondering what causes it in the first place.

The wind probably blows the crud on the surface in that direction so it deposits on that side. It's prob a combination of air polution/dust and suncsreen oils or something like that, wud be my guess. I get it in my pool too.

Thanks Poolmom! That totally makes sense, the wind blows from the west and north most of the time, and that is where the black ring collects. The south wind is blocked by the house. Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.