Multiport Valve Gasket- Lube or Caulk?

txgal

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
Dallas, TX
I am replacing the gasket in my Sta-Rite Multiport valve and have received differing advice from 2 pool stores about how to install the gasket. One store's employee said that I should lube the spider gasket. A different store's employee said that I should use caulk to set the gasket. His argument was that if it is not caulked in place it will move and cause a problem every time we move the valve. We have had this problem with our old gasket. I had to open the valve and reseat it every time we would move the valve or else we would get leakage. I don't know if this is because our gasket was old and needed to be replaced or if this wouldn't have happened if the gasket was "glued" in place with caulk. Thank you so much for your help!

I have seen everything from lube to super glue to caulk to pvc cement recommended for holding the gasket in place. You do need something to hold the gasket in place. The more permanent the adhesive the less likely there will be problems, but the more trouble you will have getting the old one out if there are problems.

From a long time ago, I think Waste posted that always moving the valve handle in the same direction....never "backing up".....was a good rule to follow

I'm not positive that has an influence on keeping the gasket seated but that would make some sense.

Somewhat off the subject but worth noting

Thanks everyone! I used small beads of silicone caulk to hold the gasket in place. I have also heard that you should move the valve in the same direction each time, so I will continue to do that. Hopefully this will keep my gasket in place and working for a while!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.