Your input on my test results?

Jul 15, 2009
My new pool has been filled and running for 5 weeks. We're currently using inline chlorinator, trichlor tablets, but plan to start using bleach.

Using TF-100:
FC 2.5
CC 0
pH 8.0
TA 130
CH 425-440 (Yikes. Tested twice...once with 25 ml sample; once with 10 mL sample)
CYA 25 (let sample warm to 68 degrees for this)
water temp 59 degrees

So I know what to do for chlorine and pH and TA, but I'm unsure about adjusting for CH and CYA. ThePoolCalculator reads for CH "replace 39% of water with new water," but after inserting 60 degree water temp, reads "no water replacement required." (yay!) So, can anyone give a brief explanation for this? CYA adjustment/recommendation is add a certain amount of stabilizer.

My water is beautifully clear, so I don't want to fix what ain't broken. I'm really just trying to get a feel for my pool and what it needs. Thanks.

To address your CYA issue. Since you're using the inline chlorinator with trichlor in it you're adding a small amount of CYA all the time. I would continue this regimen until your CYA gets to where you need it then switch to strictly using liquid chlorine. Also, since trichlor is slightly acidic your pH will come down a bit too. I mentioned that to make you aware of it so you won't lower the pH too much. I'd shoot for about 7.6. At 8.0 it does need to be brought down a bit.

Confirming FPM's advice, just keep you pH down around 7.5 or a little lower and that CH will be very little problem. If your fill water is low in CH, splashout should control it further.

Your tri-chlor tabs are temporarily perfect for your situation. They will certainly add to your CYA....keep going 'til you reach aropund 40-50ppm. Also, they will tend to lower your pH somewhat as well...probably not much but they should prevent it from rising after you lower it manually with muriatic acid.

(Oops! Bama beat me to the punch but I can't pass up the opportunity to see my words in print! :shock: :shock: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.