I've had the Dig 220 & the SC60 for 6 years now

mch2os

Feb 24, 2010
I've had the Dig 220 & the SC60 for 6 years now. It is starting to give me trouble. It started out by saying low amps/cell. Then check flow. I double check all of the connections and they are secure. I've cleaned the filter upstream from the tri-sensor. I've clean the cell with the water/acid mixture and put it all together. It still displays Low Amps/Cell?

Last summer, I noticed the top of the Dig 220 was really hot. Not sure if the two internal fans work. Should I try to fix this or get a new system?

Thanks,

Tony

The DIG-220 can get quite hot in normal operation, even when the fans are running, so that doesn't really mean anything unless you know that the fans are not working (which would be a problem).

Low amps/check cell is suggestive of the cell getting towards the end of it's life, which makes sense after six years. It can also be caused by a bad cable connection or by calcium scaling on the cell plates. You should do a visual inspection of the cell plates and check for calcium scale and take a look at the corners of the plates. When a cell is nearing the end of it's life the corners of some of the cell plates will often be worn away.

Check flow wouldn't have anything to do with low amps/check cell. It sounds like you have already tried the obvious things. You should also double check that your filter pressure is in the normal range and the return jet(s) feel the way they normally do, and are not unusually weak.

Nothing you have mentioned sounds like something that would justify replacing the whole unit. After six years, a cell replacement may well be called for, but first do the visual inspection and make sure that is really the issue.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I cleaned the cell with muriatic acid/water mix twice. When I rinsed out the cell with a water hose, a lot of black flakes rinsed out. The flakes looked like crumbled leaves that had been submerged in a tank of water. I didn't think to pick up a flake to check it closer.

Are there any electrical tests I can do with a multimeter such as check the output voltage or amps from the DIG220 or resistance of the cell?

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

Run a TEST POOL PILOT and record the Cell Amps and Volts. If the cell is clean, the salt level is correct (3000 ppm), and you have sufficient flow, the Amps will be lower than 4 amps, with the volts around 29 volts...this indicates a failing/failed cell.
As Jason suggested, inspect the cell blades. For your cell this would be the two outer blades and the center blade, for excessive wear. This would appear as the outer blades and center blades are shorter than the rest of the blades between them.

Nothing you're describing is suggesting that you need anything more than a replacement cell. Unless you really want to update everything to new equipment, then I don't mind that either! :wink:

Sean,

I think I need a complete manifold. When I tested the system this morning, I get "Check Flow". I verified the flow and it was normal. I checked the inlet filter and it was clean. I actually closed the flow vane with a rubber band and reassembled everything and it still said "Check Flow". (Suspect bad trisensor) I inspected the cell and it is very worn on the inlet side and worn on the outlet side. I go to the AutoPilot website to find a local dealer and there are none in the state of Georgia.

My local pool guy installed my system in April 2004 but has switched to Aqua Rite from Hayward. He will install a complete system for less than AutoPilot wants for a replacement SC-60 manifold. Doing some research, it looks like Aqua Rite does not have all of the features of the DIG 220. Not sure though. I need to do a little more research.

Any suggestions?

Tony

EDITED POST Added Test Results:

"Volts 27 volts, 1.8 amps"
"Replace Cell"

I have seen the SC-60 with a manifold on eBay for $760, though more commonly the cell alone goes for about $820 and the tri-sensor for around $80 to $100.

If you can get an AquaRite installed for less than $1000 I would be extremely surprised. Plus the SC-60 cell will last longer than an AquaRite cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.