Dry Ice...

gman

Jan 11, 2009
NC
So while my wife and I enjoyed a lovely vacation last week. But while we were gone, my son and his buddies got a hold of a 50 pound block of dry ice and decided it would be FUN to put a said 50 pound block of dry ice in the swimming pool. After they put dry ice in 2 liter bottles and threw them in. They even went as far as to remove the cover. I know this as they made the mistake of posting the video on their facebook, which both my wife and I enjoyed watching from our hotel room in Hawaii. 17 teen year olds. God help me. But do I have anything to worry about as far as chemical mess up's when I go to open it next month? Now It was all very neat, But not at the disposal of my pool :shock:

One positive is that you now have a new pool boy for the summer. Make him pay for the chemicals too. If my daughters did that, I make them work with me when I need ditches dug for new lines, deswamping duty, DE filter cleanings, and a whole host of other fun jobs.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
One positive is that you now have a new pool boy for the summer. Make him pay for the chemicals too. If my daughters did that, I make them work with me when I need ditches dug for new lines, deswamping duty, DE filter cleanings, and a whole host of other fun jobs.

Scott

haha they are not getting away with it. He will be paying for the chemicals as well as getting them, on his bike. I get to drive his souped up mustang for the next 2 wheels while he rides the bus to school, and when he is home from school his mom will be taking him shopping, to the nail salon, to get her hair done, etc yes Im evil. I talked with a few of the other kids parents and they were completely apologetic and have offered to help pay too. I told them to not worry about it, but If they were open to it I am going to re tar my driveway this spring and would love the help of 6 teenagers while I sit in a nice comfy lawn chair with a bud light.

but ok, The chemical levels were as expected. The wife and I decided to just open the pool now. Our long range fordcast does not predict anything harsh as far as weather goes, most of that is behind us, but the water is below the skimmers so once I fill it to normal I will re check the PH and chlorine and see how much work needs to be done. I wont bother posting numbers until then. :goodjob:

What a boon for parents the social networking sites have become! :mrgreen: No need to snoop these days, your children will exuberantly parade their exploits for all the world to see. Glad that technology was not around when I was a kid... :cool:

Wow. I spose it could have been worse, and what a blessing that there was no injury.
Maybe it's just me, but if it had been my girls, I would have had far more of an issue with the breach of trust than any potential damage to the pool. All of them under 18? Did they at least have ER treatment options in case one of them got hurt?

ah boys will be boys, If they got injured It would probably have thought them a lesson to not do it again. God knows I did stupid stuff when I was their age. Im sure if one of them got hurt the others would laugh at them, then they could drive who ever to the hospital. I feel its just as much of risk to let him drive him self in a 350 hp mustang. But he bought it with his own money, nothing I can do to control him. Im not going to be around for ever to fix his problems, might as well let him make his own mistakes and learn from them. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
gman said:
ah boys will be boys, If they got injured It would probably have thought them a lesson to not do it again. God knows I did stupid stuff when I was their age. Im sure if one of them got hurt the others would laugh at them, then they could drive who ever to the hospital. I feel its just as much of risk to let him drive him self in a 350 hp mustang. But he bought it with his own money, nothing I can do to control him. Im not going to be around for ever to fix his problems, might as well let him make his own mistakes and learn from them. :goodjob:
Great attitude! :goodjob:

Beez said:
gman said:
Great attitude! :goodjob:

lol I re read that and it sounds like I have no care for the safty of my kids. But belive me I do. I just have to have an open mind that no matter how much I protect them, they are going to get in to trouble one way or another. Really the biggest issue here is he lost my trust to let him stay home alone when were on vacation, instead he goes to my moms.

Pool is back to normal level, Just went out and shut off the hose. Boy my water bill will be high this month. Clorine is 0, CC .5, PH is low as predicted at 6.5, not sure what it was before I filled it. What can I do to raise my PH?

You can use borax, soda ash/washing soda, or aeration to raise the PH. I would raise the PH reasonably quickly to 7.0 and then switch to aeration (which will take much longer). Aeration will allow the dissolved CO2 come out of solution, which is better than adding borax or soda ash since they will raise the TA, and aeration won't.

Just stumbled over this very old thread. In case anyone else does and thinks that dry ice sounds like a cool idea, here a link to a more recent post:

Here’s another Russian pool death story caused by someone adding 25 kg (55 lb) dry ice to a pool.

Carbon dioxide is about 1.5 times the weight of air. So, the gas stayed close to the surface of the pool and people could not get any normal air which contains oxygen.

Just stumbled over this very old thread. In case anyone else does and thinks that dry ice sounds like a cool idea, here a link to a more recent post:
Really glad someone pointed out that the damage could have been much worse than a chemical imbalance. Dry ice in a pool can be deadly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.