Do I have a leak

highlt

May 4, 2008
Hi Guys-

I live in Ohio and had my pool closed in 10/09 by a Pool company. I have a solid cover on the pool and after all this snow I noticed my cover appeared to be much lower than normal and a bit stressed. When the pool was closed, the water line was at half the skimmer level like when it's open. I went out today and looked in the skimmer and I can barely see water at the bottom of the skimmer. I called the pool company and they said it could have evaporated but I'm worried that losing 3-4 inches of water in a 20x48 pool indicates a leak. All the returns are sealed off with stand pipes. The skimmers have gizmos in them with a crushed bottle. If it's leaking I assume it would have to be the main drain? Any thoughts? If there is an issue, would the pool company be liable to repair it? Help much appreciated.

Thanks

3-4 inches in 4 months is not much, even in a pool that size. More water evaporates than most people think. Another thing to think about is water displacement. When the heavy snow load started to push down on the cover, it displaced some of the water pushing it up and out. I seriously doubt you have a leak.

If it's a solid safety cover with a cover pump, I'd check for visible holes
If it has mesh drain panels, you may have an issue.
Assuming you have a safety cover, check the springs and straps. They can loosen when heavily stressed. Adjust as needed.
Waterbag covers should have 2 to 2-1/2 feet of overlap around the perimeter. A snow load and pumped out pool water will reduce this overlap.

As for liability, maybe, it depends on a lot of things. Putting the cart before the horse isn't the best approach though.

Scott

Guys-

I appreciate the quick feedback because I've been sick all night. It is a solid cover with no drain panels with a cover pump. I currently have so much ice on it I'm afraid to undo a couple of straps to look in it to see how long it actually is. Looking in the skimmers it's right at the bottom but I'm not sure if it's actually lower. Currently the cover is stressed and it looks like it's 1.5 - 2 ft lower than deck of pool. Again, I live in Ohio so I wouldn't expect this kind of evaporation but the splashing out from weight could be a possiblilty because we have had some serious snow. I want to take some straps off and see how low it really is to ensure the cover springs do not get ruined but I'm afraid I won't get them back on. Do you guys think I should add more water ? I'm freaking out. Last year, I didn't have any issues like this but we didn't get the snow we have had this year.

Thanks again

Guys-

Based on my googling, I'm praying my lost water is a result of water displacement from the 8 - 12 inches of snow and ice we had. I think when the ice on the cover thaws out and the pool water is not froze, I should add some water and check where it's out. Then check it in 3 days to see if it's moved. I hope this is what has happened. Logically it makes sense. Any other ideas or do you guys think losing 4 - 5 inches of water is too much to lose do to displacement? It just seems like a lot to lose but there is a lot of weight on it still.

Thanks

Dont undo the straps, you will not get them back on with the weight, probably.
Relax. The springs are made to do just what its doing. The covers are supposed to sag and sit on top of the water and have some give. The bigger problem is if the cover is as tight as a trampoline and there is no give at all. if you water level is just below the skimmer, its fine. My cover had 2 feet of snow on it in january and looked awful. When the snow melted, it snapped right back. Even ifd the water is 18 inches below the top of the pool, its fine.

I will say that my cover is mesh and does not require a pump. Since your does, im wondering why so much ice built up if you were pumping it off. But, it can get away from you if you have a big snow fall. Loo Loc told me they dont recommend solid cover with a pump in realy snowy areas, but I dont think you guys normaly get what we get in New England.

As for the leak worry. Sounds like your cover does not sit right on top of the water like a traditional solid cover that uses water bags. From my own experience using both kinds, i can tell you that the tarp type cover that sits on top of the water and uses water bags to hold it in place has much less evaporation. A cover like yours, i assume, has an air space between the cover and the water when no snow load is on. Thats said, a lot more evaporation will occur in that case, especially in the first couple months after close.
Two things. I'd say wait until spring when you fill the pool and see if you have a leak. i doubt it.
Second, when you get a thaw, pump as much water off as you can. Untill then, try not to worry. The worst that can happen is a few springs might get stretched and you would have to replace them next fall.
Believe it of not, your cover is probably sitting on top of the pool water. Snow and ice float. Again, relax. Even if you have a leak, which again, i doubt, think about it. You closed 4 months ago. If you only lost 4 inches, thats 1 inch a month. Thats not going to drain the pool by April :wink:

Before you loosen any straps, have you tried to look into the pool through the skimmer? You indicate that you can see into the skimmer itself, so can you also see through it into the pool, or is the weir or something in the way?

In my case, I can shine a flashlight in there and at least see the surface of the water. I can also get my hand in there to determine what the water level is. (Actually, I can determine what the ice level is, since mine's frozen. :) )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The gizzmo was in the way but I'm going to try the flash light method when I get off tonight. I just noticed it last night and had to take my daughter to Gymnastics. It was dark when I got home. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks

highlt said:
Bk I appreciate your kind words. It's hard not to worry about a 50k investement that I've only had for 1.5 seasons but I will try.
Hey, I hear ya!
Again, please dont worry. As far as trying to look through the skimmer with a flash light, miniturize yourself and crawl in (ok thats tounge in cheek but you get the idea) :wink:, IMO, I would not worry about it, really. Its gonna be tough to see anything with all that stuff in the skimmer. Wait until the snow melts, pump the water off, and then take off 3-4 straps once the weight is off so you can look at it if you feel you need the peace of mind. I can almost bet you any amount of money its gonna look exactly as it did when you closed it only with a little less water :wink:

BTW, what kind of cover did you use last winter?

TimS said:
In my case, I can shine a flashlight in there and at least see the surface of the water. I can also get my hand in there to determine what the water level is. (Actually, I can determine what the ice level is, since mine's frozen. :) )

He has an inground pool. What you are doing is pretty easy with an AG, but an IG is a different animal.

No we did not have as much snow. We did just get hit with a lot as stated earlier. The problem I have is it gets so cold and the hose on my cover pump freezes and it can not pump the water off and then it freezes. I just pray to god it is water displacement.

Bk, I'm worried now. I got off today and spent an hour and half shoveling all the snow and ice off the cover. I was able to remove the corner and see the true water level. It had dropped about 10-11 inches. It is nearly 18 inches from top of pool deck. The cover looked like Crud after I was done and was sagging due to the water level being so low. I've thrown the hose in it and plan to let it run over night. I'm sure it will take a good 15-20 hours to fill this pool up with 1 ft of water. I thought I could her a trickle here and there by the main drain but I need to check it again tomorrow because I ran out of light. I plan to contact the pool closing company by end of week and send them pictures of water level and get things started for them to correct this when it warms up. Do you think it's a busted line in main drain? Would I hear the occasionally tricke of that was case? I don't think it was as simple as water displacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.