Do I have a leak

So based on when I closed to date, I've been averaging an approximate loss of 2.25. inches per month. Miller lite is tasting good right now. What a pisser. Havn't had it two seasons and done everything by the book and paid pool company to close it every season. I can't believe this.

If you have an Ultra-Loc cover, the straps are sewn through. Water can seep through and get pumped off.

I assume the PB also closed the pool. It may be any one of a number of things. Trying to figure it it now is just going to stress you. Let it go for now. Nothing much more you can do now.

If a line broke, it will be between the frost line and the water level. No, you won't hear it.

Scott

Main drain should be air locked.

The pump hose may or may not have been frozen. When I lay one after I close a pool, I set it to go down hill. Once the pump starts, it creates a siphon. When the water is gone, the siphoning usually drains most of the water out. There is no check valve to trap air/water in the line on your Rule pump.

If you decide to remove some of the snow/ice from the cover, be sure to only use a smooth plastic shovel.

Do NOT detach the anchors from a weighted down cover. If there was too much weight, the straps would slide 1st to ease the tension.

I have had customers put them over an empty pool. After the strap slid some, it was about 50-50 as to whether it would slide and release or the spring would warp and let go. Very fixable. The cover was fine after the repairs, It didn't need shipping out either.

Lets see what a little faith does.

Scott

Scott

I agree it's the hose that freezes not the rule pump and I also have it going down hill from the pool. I don't there is any damage to the cover at this point in time but if I had let it go and more water continued to leak out I believe it may have become damaged if I hadn't added water. I let the hose run 10 hours last night and was able to raise it about 7 inches. I assume I will need to add some more when I get off today and get the water back to the proper level and then measure it and try to identify how much is being lost each week. Considering I lost 10 inches over about 4.5 months, I assume there is a leak some where. Currently all returns are capped off with pvc stubs and the skimmers are plugged. I'd assume if I have a leak it's main drain, gasket on some fitting, light niche, stairs or liner. I hope if it's leaking it's not an issue with main drain.

Thanks

If you have tile at the water line, you want ot keep the level below them so they can't crack or pop off from the pressures of expanding ice. Remember, a snow load will displace water and cause an increase in the water level, temporary as it may be.

Scott

I agree with the sentiment here - let it be until you open it. If there is a crack (which sounds unlikely) there isn't anything you can do about it until you open the pool anyway.

Your pool may have drains or a space between the pool wall and coping where water can escape. We had a TERRIBLE rain storm last year I could only watch as a foot of water was dumped into my pool and the level rose, but never got higher than the bottom of the coping, which means the water was draining out.

It's entirely possible that you have the same situation - the snow and ice are pushing down on the water, raising the level at the sides to a level that causes the water to drain out - then as the ice and snow evaporate (which they do in direct sunlight) the pressure is relieved somewhat and the water level drops.

Bottom line: The likelihood that this is normal is very high. Have the pool company check it out during the opening, and relax.

Guys-

I truly appreciate all your support. Below is feedback to some of your comments questions.

bk - I don't lose much water when it's opened. I keep a solar cover on it at night and probably only added water 1 - 2 times per month. Nothing substantial at all.

poolguy - I don't have a tile. It's just a vinyl lined pool with vermiculate bottom. I'm not gaining water do to rain but lost approximately 10 inches. The water line was 18 inches below pool deck which is maximum amount for the loop-loc pool cover.

baudilus - I agree I have to wait until it's opened to identify the true problem but I still need to keep the water level up to ensure the pool cover does not get destroyed. Plus, if it was a main drain issue, I don't want to un-cover it and see no water or very low level and have any structural damage or liner damage. I pray your correct with the likelihood is high it is not a crack.

My plan it to get the water back to mid skimmer level. Then check it weekly and see if it's dropping again. I guess it is still possible that the heavy snow we had displaced the water and a little evaproation. However, lossing over 10 inches seems very high to me. Also, last year I didn't lose but maybe 1 inch.

Again thanks for all the comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today has been one week since refilling the pool with 10 inches of water do the water loss. I looked and appears to have not have moved. I'm going to continue to monitor and pray the heavy snow forced the cover down there is water going thru the Ultra-loc seams and the cover pump pumpted the water out of pool... Otherwise, I have a very sloww leak. I plan to check it weekly. I'll let you all know.

Thanks

Interestingly enough, I just had this happen. I have a temporary cover and the 3 feet of snow plus 10 inches of rain that rested on top until thawed were finally (mostly) pumped out. Several days (up to 10 hours at a time) of pumping and there is still water onthe cover, but the level under the cover dropped about 10-12". I think either my explanation above or a hole in the cover is the culprit, and I may have been pumping off pool water mistakenly.

We'll see when opening time comes.

I agreew with you. It's been over weeks since I topped my pool off with water and it has not dropped in 4 weeks. All the guys on the forum were accurate with telling me not to worry. I assume it was coming thru the strapping and the cover pump pumped some water out of pool. I'm still checking it weekly but I assume after 4 weeks...I'm good. Thank goodness.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.