My pool is going to be rebuilt in the next week or two and I need help starting it up. I went through the Start-up New Plaster page in the pool school and have some questions.
First of all the builder will not do the first seven steps, so I am on my own for that. Among other things, the pool will be re-plastered with gray plaster.
I am going to use the first method, so, here are the steps for which I have some questions:
3. Check all equipment and make sure it's functional. Turn off the heater and leave off for at least 3 weeks after filling. - I do not have the heater, but I have the Barracuda vacuum cleaner attached to the inflow.
4. Circulate the water, add sequestrant. Run pump 24 hours a day for first week. Watch filter pressure and clean filter as soon as it rises 8-10 psi. The plaster dust might clog the filter quickly so keep an eye on it and clean the filter as needed. - Do I circulate the water with Barracuda connected or not? What is sequestrant and where to I buy it?
5. Test and balance the water. First adjust TA to 80-100 ppm, then CH to 200-400 ppm, and finally pH to 7.6. pH will probably have to be lowered but do not add more than 1 pt of muriatic acid per 10,000 gallons at any one time to avoid sudden pH shifts. DO NOT ADD CHLORINE OR CYA YET. - What is "pt" in 1 pt, is it pint? 1 pint = 16 oz. So if my pool is about 16K gallons I would need to add 24oz of muriatic acid? If the pH does not decreases to 7.6 do I leave it or try to decrease more?
6. After the first 48 hours vacuum daily before brushing using a vacuum head with brushes (such as used in vinyl pools) instead of wheels to prevent marring the plaster. Clean filter after vacuuming. - Base on the answer in 4 above, is it OK to vacuum with Barracuda?
7. After 72 hours add the CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level. - When says "add the CYA and then the chlorine SLOWLY to gradually bring it to the desired level", does it mean over several hours, days, etc? What is the optimal CYA level? Once I achieve that level, do I bring the Target FC to that level?
I will try to post construction photos.
Thanks for the help.