Question on purchasing Used Heater.

Carla_IL

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2010
How much would you offer for a Used Sta Rite SR333NA, They claim it has never been used. They are asking $900.00 and I am sure it has no warranty. What things should I check when I look at it? What questions would you ask?

Never been used eh?

Gas: Look for pipe dope in the threads of the inlet to the gas valve (this could be evidence of prior hook up). Actually, if it's brand new, there is a plastic pug stuck in the valve at EOL/ assembly.

Electrical: Look at the wires that you hook the unit up to high voltage. If brand new, the wires will stick out of the j-box about 10 inches (You will need to bring a 5/16 and 1/4 inch nut drivers to get into the housing, and then junction box on the heater). You will be able to tell if it has been hooked up to power (wire strands will be wiggly and not straight).

Water: The water connections are union-ed 2" and should be ready to accept pipe, not have a piece of pipe already glued in then the pipe cut off.

And general cleanliness.

For 900.00 i wouldn't buy it if it had water running through it. Even if it wasn't ever fired. There is no way of knowing what the water chemistry was. If it had water that was for instance say low Ph, copper would have been eroded away, reducing the life of the exchanger (worst case of course).

Good luck

How about free? It is nearly impossible to determine the condition of the heat exchanger, which can be significantly damaged by just a few weeks of low PH. Unless it has a titanium heat exchanger, there is no way of knowing how long it will last, and thus it's value is quite low.

Carla_IL said:
So now they say it is 3 years old and used on and off. How much now?

Carla

That is tough! Maybe i would start out with: "why are you selling it?" (not that they would tell you if there was something wrong with it). They lied to you once already saying that it was never used and then changed it to "used on and off for three years". Not good. I'm afraid my advice is to pass on this "deal".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.