Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: code question

1. Back To Top    #1

code question

I know each city is different, but is an exciting doggie door going to be an issue?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: code question

I don't think any answer except from your local code enforcement officer will matter.

My reading of the Florida code says ALL doors and windows that have an opening 42 or less inches above the floor have to be alarmed, or the pool has to have a barrier. The least restrictive condition for a barrier is a maximum sized opening of 4", and it just gets worse from there.

I think you would have to be able to show that no crawling baby could make it through the doggie door, and hope the inspector favors loose law interpretations.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dykes26
    I know each city is different, but is an exciting doggie door going to be an issue?
    Does an exciting doggie door work for only for excited doggies? (And not, say, for subdued pooches?)
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Screw a piece of plywood over the doggie door and tell the inspector you don't have a dog anymore, all this happening as your dog is humping the inspectors leg.

Sorry, i'm no help...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

pile a bunch of **** in front of it from both sides... I had the same issue. Or its not as difficult as you think to put an alarm sensor on it!
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

6. Back To Top    #6

I vote for either sealing it off or putting an alarm on it.

I understand that if you alarm it you'll have to put up with the alarm sounding every time the pet goes in or out but that's better than not alarming in an event that it should have.

Now if you really want to get fancy. There's a guy that designed a vision system for his cats pet door. That way it won't let anything but his cat in or out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I understand that if you alarm it you'll have to put up with the alarm sounding every time the pet goes in or out but that's better than not alarming in an event that it should have.

Now if you really want to get fancy. There's a guy that designed a vision system for his cats pet door. That way it won't let anything but his cat in or out.
    His cat, and anything the cat decides to bring in with it.... (eeeahuw!)

In 2007, I had to alarm two sliding glass doors and an oversized bedroom window (anything with potential access to the pool area) but I bought the cheapest alarms I could find and installed them with the smallest wood screws I could buy... just pulled them out by hand the week after the pool passed inspection.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    I bought the cheapest alarms I could find and installed them with the smallest wood screws I could buy... just pulled them out by hand the week after the pool passed inspection.
    Thats what i did. Those alarms are silly, IMO. We even were required to alarm the screen on the glass slider. I took off the screen and stck it in the back of my truck when the building inspector came. No screen, no need to alarm it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.