I put my local Leslie’s pool store out of business!

coastal

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2009
Naples Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Well, I’m sure it wasn’t single handed but since I’ve stopped spending a fortune on chemicals in their store, I’ve recently noticed they’ve closed up.

Oh well.

Hmmm...I guess I ought to take a look next time I drive by the Leslie's near my house and see if they are still open.

Leslie's is still useful if I need to pick up something quick, like a bottle of testing reagent or something.

A real shame... If my Leslie's closed, where would I be able to pick up a $25 Polaris cleaner bag for $40? or a $10 leaf rake head for $35? I'd miss asking the store manager to order me something from the on-line Leslie's catalog for a 30% mark-up over list. But what would happen to the kid behind the counter who knows a lot more about pools than the franchisee? He would be fired with the same indifference accorded to a beautiful species unable to procreate quickly enough.

So I buy my muriatic acid and salt there just to keep the kid employed until he can get through college. After that...it will be, "¡Adiós, muchachos!"

I realize the intent of this thread was mostly facetious, but I don't think it is ever a positive thing when a business goes under, even the egregious pool store. They have their place in the market. If they can find people who are willing to buy from them at whatever price, then good for them! Let those who are unwilling to search out a better way pour their money into Leslie's, it's good for the economy! :p

It took me all of 1 visit to that store to realize there must be a better way. So I did a little searching and found this excellent forum as well as the old Pool Forum, and Garden Web. It really wasn't very difficult...

Beez said:
I realize the intent of this thread was mostly facetious, but I don't think it is ever a positive thing when a business goes under, even the egregious pool store. They have their place in the market. If they can find people who are willing to buy from them at whatever price, then good for them! Let those who are unwilling to search out a better way pour their money into Leslie's, it's good for the economy! :p

It took me all of 1 visit to that store to realize there must be a better way. So I did a little searching and found this excellent forum as well as the old Pool Forum, and Garden Web. It really wasn't very difficult...
Well said Beez, I too found Leslie's and pinch a penny to be very expensive and this is how I found this TFP and GW. I only wish I had found it sooner :cheers: :cheers:

Not sure how people found this forum but it might be a great thing to do a poll :goodjob:

To Jasion and Josh, what are your thoughts :cheers: :cheers:

No, I don't like seeing businesses close or people being put out of work. I cringe every time I hear new unemployment numbers because I know that each one will affect an entire family.

But, that being said, nature needs to take its course or we can’t have progress. These times are not the usual weeding out and while there are many good businesses going under, most of what goes first are the ones that only survived because “they were there”. In fact, a lot of the problems we are experiencing today are because of being artificially propped up.
In this case there is local competition that is still doing quite well and while I do feel bad for the manager who lost her job at Leslie’s I don’t feel bad for this chain experiencing difficulties in a tough market. Their competitor did a better job of meeting all customers needs and is surviving.

baudilus said:
polyvue said:
where would I be able to pick up a $25 Polaris cleaner bag for $40

sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but what's the best place to get s replacement bag for my 480? I refuse to believe some of the prices I see for these things.

Have you tried online? Seems like the net always has good prices.

I have turned to Leslie's on two occasions for last minute - and in a hurry - purchases. Though not exactly convienent, at least they have proper testing supplies as opposed to the other so-called pool suppliers who carry test strips..... :roll:

Yes, Polaris parts are pricey and I can imagine that the 480 is pricier yet (marketing decision), but you can compare prices using Google, which will bring up sites that give you a range of prices. I've purchased bags at Leslies web site. Also check out:

Poolcenter.com
Polytecpools.com

The good news is that (since shipping is based commonly on weight) bags are light!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.