Solar Cover and Cover Reel

bll

Feb 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

Just joined this forum and hoping for some advice and guidance.
I recently bought a house in sunny California with a pool - the pool shape is rectangle with arches on each side and has a spa that pours the water into the pool (pictures attached)
[attachment=0:2x0o9u9b]genTmb_F1821589_17_0.jpg[/attachment:2x0o9u9b]

The pool is quite big - with arches it measures 22.5' by 40' and the spa is an additional 8' by 8'.

It seems that the previous owner disconnected the heater from the gas line (does not look like the heater has been used for a while or that it works). Either way, from going through the forum's threads I understand I need to get solar covers and I was hoping to get your advice on it. since the pool is big, I am thinking of going with a clear solar cover of 24' by 40 ' for the pool that is 16 mil -(think the cheapest is at http://www.Solarcovers.com - anyone ever bought from them?). This cover should be durable and retain heat. Would you go with a thiner cover (12 mil or less?)? also, how important is it that the cover does not have any wrinkles as it spread on the pool (as I mentioned that pool has a bunch of arches)? is it more important that the pool is completely covered or that the solar cover does not bunch?

As for the reel - I was thinking of either buying one or making one using mount bearings and an aluminum pole (based on the matt4x4 design). My concern is the sag as few indicated in various threads - will an aluminum pole hold (with no sag) a 16 mil cover of 24' by 40'? with diameter of a pole should I get and where is a good place to get it? I looked online and it seems that building the reel (assuming a pole costs about $100) will end up costing something close to $175 - should I just buy a reel?
In which case, I saw this one (http://www.solarcovers.com/cgi-bin/shop ... reels.html) on the solarcovers.com - would the 20' suffice for the 24' (which will be more like 22' once I trim it if needed) or should I go with 25'?

Any insight / advice / pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Udi

Attachments

• genTmb_F1821589_17_0.jpg
    genTmb_F1821589_17_0.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 315
bll said:
It seems that the previous owner disconnected the heater from the gas line (does not look like the heater has been used for a while or that it works). Either way, from going through the forum's threads I understand I need to get solar covers and I was hoping to get your advice on it. since the pool is big, I am thinking of going with a clear solar cover of 24' by 40 ' for the pool that is 16 mil -(think the cheapest is at http://www.Solarcovers.com - anyone ever bought from them?). This cover should be durable and retain heat. Would you go with a thiner cover (12 mil or less?)? also, how important is it that the cover does not have any wrinkles as it spread on the pool (as I mentioned that pool has a bunch of arches)? is it more important that the pool is completely covered or that the solar cover does not bunch?
Udi
Welcome to the forum, Udi! :-D

I have no thoughts on the reel but would suggest that a 16 ml cover may be a better choice than one that is thinner (11 or 12 ml). I purchased my last solar cover from Solarcovers.com and was pleased with the delivery time and cost. If you decide not to use a reel, cut the cover in half so it is easier to place and remove from the pool (and store.) The main benefit of a solar cover is not so much the insulating thickness --- even the very thinnest cover is good because it stops evaporation of the water -- evaporation causes most of the heat loss.

I found someone who is selling an old reel - 16' long. does anyone knows whether I will be able to extend the pole (without causing sagging) to a 23' pole to feet my pool cover?

Wider pools need a higher diameter spool. The pic you posted is a bit small but I don't see a dive stand which is good since the cover, when spooled with will be pretty big. Make sure the reel is tall enough.

Yes, buy a decent reel. Buy the thicker cover and a slightly larger than needed cover and use a razor knife to cut it to size.

Don't try roll/unroll the cover fast. It'll stretch and eventually tear. A slow, steady pace is best. If one person is gently pulling while another is unspooling, less tension is applied to the cover and it will glide into position.

If the cover is spooled and in the sun, cover it. A wet, spooled cover in the sun gets hot and can contribute to algae growth on the cover and deterioration.

Don't use it when shocking the pool. The elevated chlorine is not good for it.

Scott

Hi Udi,

We have a 22'x40' pool and also bought our cover and reel from solarcovers.com. We also were happy with the merchandise and delivery time.

We bit the bullet and popped for a Rocky's Roller Reel, it seems to be very well made and hopefully will last for many years (just bought it late last summer so it is too soon to say). It uses a three piece aluminum pole. The center piece has the largest diameter (about 6" or 7"), and the two side pieces have a smaller diameter and slide in either side of the center piece, then are secured with through-bolts. I don't know if reel you are looking at can be modified successfully, but perhaps that might give you an idea.

Good luck,
Gordon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.