First post, need help with pump

Feb 18, 2010
Houston, TX
I've been lurking here for awhile, finally decided to register. Guess that's what happens when someone needs help. :p Anyhow, we just got a used hot tub a couple weeks ago, and one of the pumps is broken. I knew that when we got it, that's why it was so cheap! Well, the plastic piece inside where all the wires connect to is broken, other than that I'm pretty sure the pump is fine. I just can't for the life of me remember what that piece is called! Does anyone here know what it's called and where online I might find one?

The pump is a 3HP Magnetek.

Thanks for your help, I really love this site! Lots of info you can't get anywhere else, much less a pool store! :rant:

Yeah that one, except the pump I have is a little different. The pic you posted is what I'm used to seeing, with the points up top and such. My pump has a strip of metal attached to the piece I need, and the points are on it also. I just don't want to throw away a perfectly good pump for a $10 part, you know? I'll try to get a pic on here in a little while.

It's called a terminal board. I have a distributor that carries them but I'm not having any luck finding them online. I'll keep an eye out. You might have some luck checking with local pool & electrical stores to see if they've got a motor like yours in the trash heap that they'd let you butcher.

spishex said:
It's called a terminal board. I have a distributor that carries them but I'm not having any luck finding them online. I'll keep an eye out. You might have some luck checking with local pool & electrical stores to see if they've got a motor like yours in the trash heap that they'd let you butcher.

Terminal board! Finally, that 3 day brain fart is over! The more I tried to remember, the harder it seemed. Anyways, I've tried everywhere around here and they all told me they can't get a lot of them anymore, mine included. And they definitely won't let me tear one apart they've got laying around, they would all rather me buy a new motor from them. I'll keep searching for a few days, and if nothing turns up, just go ahead and buy a new motor. If anyone else has any ideas, let me know, thanks.

Here's the pics...with some superglue and a piece of spare plastic I rigged it up! It works! :whoot: :whoot: :whoot:
It may not last long but it's worth a shot, right? Now tomorrow I gotta go get a new impeller since I broke it trying to get it off the shaft. That thing was seized on there so bad I figured I'd just take a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to it! :mrgreen: I can get a new one here in town for about 10 bucks, lot better than a new motor! I've got an extra shaft seal here from the last pump I fixed so I'm good to go.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47779136@N08/sets/

Re: First post, need help with pump *UPDATE*

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me, and everyone else who contributes to this forum! If it wasn't for all of you, the rest of us would probably still be 'pool stored'. Times are tough right now, but as soon as the we get the hot tub up and running, I'll definitely be getting my TF test kit, and as soon as I have money to spare I'll be supporting this site too. Not just for me, but for everyone here! Hopefully I won't need too much more help here, and I'll contribute here any way I can.

Take care! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.