Does an over-sized filter increase water "turnover rate"?

JWB

Jan 10, 2010
Hi... narrowing this down,

My system has a newer single-speed Hayward 1HP pump with 1.5" plumbing throughout. The old filter was a 36sf Purex DE stainless steel model from the 80s. If I move to a larger 48sf filter, will the turnover rate increase, thus allowing me to shorten my run times during the day?

Thanks, Jon

27k 16x32' IG

allowing me to shorten my run times during the day
Not enough to be very noticeable. You will likely notice a drop on your pressure guage which means there is less resistance which means there is more water flow. However, the increased waterflow actually will allow your constant speed pump to do more "work" resulting in slightly more electrical consumption.

None of these effects should be significant enough to make any real difference.

The one effect you will probably notice is your water will be cleaner and you can go longer in between cleanings because of the increased filter capacity. Larger filters are always a good thing.

WRT to the size, larger is not always better with a DE or sand filter. If he had, for example, a 72 sq ft filter and a 1 HP pump, I doubt he would have enough flow to get a good back wash. If he had a cartridge filter, it would be a different story.

Scott

WRT to the size, larger is not always better with a DE or sand filter. If he had, for example, a 72 sq ft filter and a 1 HP pump, I doubt he would have enough flow to get a good back wash. If he had a cartridge filter, it would be a different story.
It has been the consensus of this forum and others for years that a larger filter is better in almost every circumstance. Devising a scenario in which that may not be true adds unnecessary complexity to an otherwise fairly simple question.

Thank you for that information. I found a deal and went ahead and bought a Sta-Rite modular 48sf DE filter. This leads me to another question...

Is there any way to "count" the amount of gallons being processed by the pump/filter system?... maybe as an inline product located within the PVC connections after the filter?

Thanks,
Jon

JWB said:
Is there any way to "count" the amount of gallons being processed by the pump/filter system?...

search on Blue-White flowmeter (the Blue-White part is a brand, there are other brands, that's just the one I can recall).

As Bama points out, the placement of a flow meter is critical to accurate readings. If you don't have the room for the required straight piece of pipe, the readings can be significantly off.

If you are just interested in a rough estimate as to flow rate, let me know the model number of the pump you have, filter PSI, ~ how long the runs are from the equipment pad to the pool and the number of runs for the suction and return lines. I can usually get fairly close with just that information and save you a bit of money on a flow meter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.