Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting ready to order a kit for the new season

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting ready to order a kit for the new season

I was just over at TFtestkits and noticed they say the kit's contents have changed for 2010, just curious if anyone know what has changed?

Also is the XL kit worth it or will the reagents go bad before I have a chance to use them all? I'm in SoCal so we have a longer season, but no heater all sun. And I am using Borates so I plan on adding the test strips.

Thanks
    9000 Gallon Gunite Pool
    Pentair 1/2 HP Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair DE Filter
    Kreepy Krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting ready to order a kit for the new season

Dave can give you the exact changes, but they changed the quantities of some of the reagents to better match the amount used in the real world. Unless you do a lot of testing the standard kit should be all you need.

Having said that if the XL kit had been an option when I ordered it would have paid me to get it. Suffice it to say, I do a lot of testing, even to the point of testing friends and family's pool's. Yeah, I know I'm crazy! I think I've ordered some of the refills twice.

FAS-DPD and CYA are my most used reagents. I've ordered double of those. after about a year I finally need to order R-0014 pH phenol red, and a couple for the CH test, R-0011 & R-0012. The refills are reasonable and if you order several, the shipping is good.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If I remember correctly, the 2010 TF100 includes more FC/CC and CYA reagents compared to the 2007-2009 version.

If the test kit is properly stored, in a cool dark place with uniform temperatures year round, the reagents will be good for several years.

The XL kit is best for people with special needs for extra FC/CC reagents, for example if you are doing a baquacil conversion, frequently testing friends pools, fighting algae with very high CYA levels, test FC/CC more than once a day, etc.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

VoR,

Confirming what's already been said, the CYA reagent and the Chlorine testing reagent have been doubled in the new kits.

Same price as last year.

The TF-100XL doubles those same two reagents again....in other words, 4 times as much as the old kits from last year. As Jason said, unless you suspect unusually high usage, the XL is probably a little overkill.

Not to get into a sales pitch, but don't worry about the chemistry going bad...it won't.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all, sounds like the regular will fit the bill. No swamp now, just that murkey winter water
    9000 Gallon Gunite Pool
    Pentair 1/2 HP Whisperflo Pump
    Pentair DE Filter
    Kreepy Krauly