Wiring question - Intermatic P1353ME

dbspcl

Mar 27, 2008
Hi, I am new here and am in the process of swapping out a Jandy 1.5HP single-speed pump for a Hayward Super II 2-speed. As part of this swap, I purchased a P1353ME Intermatic digital timer (3-circuit) to replace the existing mechanical timer. I haven't found much info on the 1353 on the net, so I have a couple questions:

a) The old hookup had two wires to the heater from each of the two incoming line connections from the circuit breaker. The new timer has two terminals for what they call 'timer power' (terminals 1 and 2), I'm assuming that the wires from the CB go here now, along with the ones to the heater?

b) I think I need mode '2' (circuits 1 and 2 for low/hi speed, circuit 3 aux) for the Hayward pump. Do I wire this by connecting a 'common' to terminal 1 that goes to the pump, and then a jumper from terminal 2 to terminals 3 and 5 (the two lines for the DPST)? The load lines for high and low then come off terminals 4 and 6 and go to the pump?

c) I have a chlorinator that used to be wired to the two load lines on the mechanical timer. Do I now wire one to terminal 1 (the common) and the other to the low-speed load line (terminal 5)? So this means the chlorinator can only operate on low or high but not both, right?

Thanks!

dbspcl said:
a) The old hookup had two wires to the heater from each of the two incoming line connections from the circuit breaker. The new timer has two terminals for what they call 'timer power' (terminals 1 and 2), I'm assuming that the wires from the CB go here now, along with the ones to the heater?
This timer is set up so that each component is basically on it's own power source. You could have separate breakers for the timer, pump and heater, or if you only have one breaker powering everything you'll have to jump from timer terminal one to the 3 line terminals (3, 5, & 7). You can either wire your heater directly from the CB and connect the fireman's switch in the timer to your heater's safety circuit, wire it to ONE speed of the pump (if you try connected it to high and low speeds you'll damage the motor), or wire it to AUX/Circuit 3 and program it independently.

b) I think I need mode '2' (circuits 1 and 2 for low/hi speed, circuit 3 aux) for the Hayward pump. Do I wire this by connecting a 'common' to terminal 1 that goes to the pump, and then a jumper from terminal 2 to terminals 3 and 5 (the two lines for the DPST)? The load lines for high and low then come off terminals 4 and 6 and go to the pump?
You've got it right if you're running 240v. You can jump terminal 1 or 2 to 3 and 5, and then use whichever one you didn't jump as your common line to the pump.

c) I have a chlorinator that used to be wired to the two load lines on the mechanical timer. Do I now wire one to terminal 1 (the common) and the other to the low-speed load line (terminal 5)? So this means the chlorinator can only operate on low or high but not both, right?
Basically this is the same as the heater. You can do it as you describe, or wire it into the Aux 3 circuit and program it independently. I'd probably choose to wire it to low-speed only as you describe.

It's too bad mode 4 doesn't operate a booster pump on high OR low speed because that would be a perfect setting to hook both the chlorinator and heater to.

Welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.