Simulating a salt level to test tri-sensor

Feb 16, 2010
I'm getting a very erratic salt reading from my pool pilot. Inspected and cleaned the tri-sensor and verified a good cable by checking pin to pin continuity and no continuity between pins.

Yesterday the reading said 500 ppm, then later it showed 7800ppm. After checking out the sensor and cable I tried to calibrate it to the actual salt level of 2000 (I know that's low) but it would not take the calibration.

It seems that I need to troubleshoot to find whether the problem is the sensor or the control board.

At one point the service guy plugged a simulator into the tri-sensor cord. Can I simulate a salt level by placing a resistor between two of the cable pins?

Thanks much,

Yes you can, but the problem is what value to use? If you have an ohm meter, you might try to measure the resistance acros the pins with the sensor in the water. That would probably give you a ball park figure.

I'd like to know what resistance would simulate 3000 ppm, for example. Then I could put that resistor between the right pins and see if my unit displays 3000ppm. That would tell me which is bad, sensor or board, right?

169 ohm (1%) is approx 2400 ppm... but don't tell anyone you heard that from me.

Edited because I forgot to address the initial problem:

Eratic readings like that may be because you have insufficient flow going through the manifold ( that is, low flow conditions may not allow the proper water conductivity between the salt sensor blades), a bad connector (remove the trisensor cord from the DIG and make sure the pins in the connector are all evenly spaced from the top of the plastic housing), bad internal connection (inspect the wire harness between the two circuit boards for any loose wire), or a bad display circuit board.

Naturally, if it's under warranty still, call the factory for service.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.