New Indoor Pool

stever

LifeTime Supporter
You might remember me from my pool build a few years ago -- thank you again for all of the advice.

My father in now in the process of building a pool house with an indoor pool (North of San Diego). The idea is that it will stay cleaner and warmer -- the warmth allowing year-round use without paying to heat it for 6-8 months. The pool building is in construction and the pool dig starts this next week. Here's some info on the pool and building:

- wood-framed building with opening skylights.
- CMU block will extend up 16" from deck to keep the water way from the wood.
- Equipment will be outside
- pool is about 650 square feet
- planned for 540 square feet of south facing solar
- will be a salt pool
- sport pool 3.5 ft - 5 ft - 4 ft.
- attached spa with spillover

Equipment:
- Pentair 400 propane heater
- Pentair VS pump
- probably a Quad DE 100 filter
- IC-40 salt chlorinator
- Intellitouch I7 controls

QUESTIONS:
- how well will the solar function year round? (80% -- no wind, no sun)
- what wall covering (plaster, etc) is best for inside? (mold, etc)
- what are the specific issues with chemicals and an indoor pool?

I'll get some pictures when it's done.

Thanks for any input you might have.

Thank you and I agree -- I have recommended a cover for just those reasons. There is a constant breeze from the west (windows in west face of building) and opening skylights in the roof. The hope is that this will allow for a constant turning of the air to keep it from getting too humid. Of course this comes at a price, as the more the humidity is taken away, the more evaporation takes place and the more cooling there is int he water.

The building is being wired for humidity-controlled fans if needed, but same problem as above.

stever-

Here's a couple good contacts for you for your Dad to go see:

Performance Solar (ask for Dennis. He is the owner. Tell him I sent you).
Poolsafe (pool covers. Ask for Pat. He is the owner. Tell him I sent you).

These guys are the best in their businesses. I am in Escondido and know them both personally. They will do you right.

Ditch the small DE filter! Get a Clean and Clear Plus 420 SF cartridge filter. Your Dad will thank you later!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.