Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Indoor Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New Indoor Pool

You might remember me from my pool build a few years ago -- thank you again for all of the advice.

My father in now in the process of building a pool house with an indoor pool (North of San Diego). The idea is that it will stay cleaner and warmer -- the warmth allowing year-round use without paying to heat it for 6-8 months. The pool building is in construction and the pool dig starts this next week. Here's some info on the pool and building:

- wood-framed building with opening skylights.
    - CMU block will extend up 16" from deck to keep the water way from the wood.
    - Equipment will be outside
    - pool is about 650 square feet
    - planned for 540 square feet of south facing solar
    - will be a salt pool
    - sport pool 3.5 ft - 5 ft - 4 ft.
    - attached spa with spillover

Equipment:
    - Pentair 400 propane heater
    - Pentair VS pump
    - probably a Quad DE 100 filter
    - IC-40 salt chlorinator
    - Intellitouch I7 controls

QUESTIONS:
    - how well will the solar function year round? (80% -- no wind, no sun)
    - what wall covering (plaster, etc) is best for inside? (mold, etc)
    - what are the specific issues with chemicals and an indoor pool?

I'll get some pictures when it's done.

Thanks for any input you might have.
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Indoor Pool

I have seen several structures destroyed by indoor pools. Humidity control is very important. An automatic cover is one of the best things you can do. Check out dry-o-tron.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you and I agree -- I have recommended a cover for just those reasons. There is a constant breeze from the west (windows in west face of building) and opening skylights in the roof. The hope is that this will allow for a constant turning of the air to keep it from getting too humid. Of course this comes at a price, as the more the humidity is taken away, the more evaporation takes place and the more cooling there is int he water.

The building is being wired for humidity-controlled fans if needed, but same problem as above.
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool will be dug in this area this week..... then shotcreted, then the rest of the building built around it.

[attachment=0:9lrqqj8w]SSPX0416 low.jpg[/attachment:9lrqqj8w]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

stever-

Here's a couple good contacts for you for your Dad to go see:

Performance Solar (ask for Dennis. He is the owner. Tell him I sent you).
    Poolsafe (pool covers. Ask for Pat. He is the owner. Tell him I sent you).

These guys are the best in their businesses. I am in Escondido and know them both personally. They will do you right.

Ditch the small DE filter! Get a Clean and Clear Plus 420 SF cartridge filter. Your Dad will thank you later!