Broken parts

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So I wanted to get a head start on getting our pool ready for the summer - We live in Texas, and it will be warm before you know it.

I went outside to check on the pump, and to my dismay, I found my little glass backwash viewer broken. I guess 16 degree weather will do that :cry:

I would like to order a replacement online, but don't really know what to search for.

Also, we thought it might be fun to get in the hut tub. Only, when I tried to turn my jandy valve, the handle broke right off. So I have to order a new one of those too.

Does anyone know of a good, reputable website that would sell both of those things, or is it better to just go to my local Leslie's Pool supply?

Thanks!

jefeyessica said:
I went outside to check on the pump, and to my dismay, I found my little glass backwash viewer broken. I guess 16 degree weather will do that :cry:
I would like to order a replacement online, but don't really know what to search for. Also, we thought it might be fun to get in the hut tub. Only, when I tried to turn my jandy valve, the handle broke right off. So I have to order a new one of those too.

Does anyone know of a good, reputable website that would sell both of those things, or is it better to just go to my local Leslie's Pool supply?
What brand/model of pump do you have? Most Leslie's stores stock only the most common (best-selling) parts, though they might offer to order it for you (at the normal Leslie's mark-up!) Poolcenter.com sells just about everything and you can go to their website and browse around for exactly the part you need. There are many other sites, as well, but take care to add the shipping to the item price(s) to compare the actual prices between competitors. To find additional on-line stores, you can Google the parts (by model with part number) and get a pretty good feel for who is selling what and at what price.

I guess I need a Hayward sight glass - but when I search at some online stores, it's hard to figure out which one I need. I did go to poolcenter.com, and was a little disappointed with their $12 shipping fee (that's 50% on top of my cost)

Also, a Jandy Valve handle. I will do what you suggested, and try to find part numbers to make my search a bit easier.

For 1 sight glass, and 1 handle, it would be a whopping $34 at poolcenter.com.... :shock:

jefeyessica said:
I guess I need a Hayward sight glass -
For 1 sight glass, and 1 handle, it would be a whopping $34 at poolcenter.com....
Yes, when ordering a single low-cost part from anywhere, the shipping cost in relation to item cost is going to be very high. It's better to group anticipated purchases together -- I try to add on a few items I know I'm going to need eventually (testing kit refills; filter socks; fuzzy tails, cleaner bags and wear rings for my Polaris cleaner, etc.) and hope that I've anticipated well; but sometimes an odd-sized brand-name part that costs 67¢ will require replacement... what can you do?

As Josh suggested, posting the model of your filter / valve may lead members with the same equipment to provide other solutions.

If the Jandy valve handle broken when trying to turn, most likely internal diverter may have to be lubed(if it is the kind that can be lubed) or replaced. There are o-ring seals inside valve also, that may need some attention. spx710ma part number for sight glass, if Hayward MPV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.