Tap water test prior to fill

Yes, that is possible. My tap water TA is 240. Read this article in Pool School.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/lowering total alkalinity
(Read the rest of Pool School, too. Lot's of good information there.) I'm sure others will jump in here with more advice.

Basically you're going to need to add Muriatic Acid to lower TA and pH, and then use some method (often aeration) to raise pH back up. It's going to take several iterations to get the TA and pH where you want them.

Tim.

dykes26, where do you live?

If you are in an arid area with high evaporation rates you are going to need to manage your levels quite carefully. TA and CH stay in the pool as water evaporates, and then replacement water raises the levels yet higher. High TA and high CH both tend to cause calcium scaling. You will need to keep your PH under fairly tight control until you can get your TA level down.

In addition to Jason's info, there is a possibility of a testing error, too.

Search "TA testing error" on the forum and you should find a thread ot two explaining how to work around it.

dykes26 said:
FC-2
PH- 7.4
TA- 230? 23 drops before red
CH-310

My TA seems REAL high. Can that be and what to do about it after fill?
Yes, that can be. Take a look at your showerhead. Is it white and crusty? How about the inside of the coffee maker?

I have no idea what to do about it, I'm still learning. Maybe get a water softener for the initial fill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.