Paving / Stone column question

The short answer is "probably not". Any masonry structure should have a footing. Even if it's very, very light weight it still needs a stationary surface so it won't crack from movement.

How big are the columns and how much would they weigh? Same with the wall. How high, made out of what material. I would not recommend this, really. Paver patios will hold a lot of weight. Driveways are built out of them. But, something like columns and walls really need a proper footing. Give me an idea of the size of what you are wanting to build and the materials and i can give you an idea if what you are wanting to do is workable.

(Duraleigh and I posted at the same time) :)

The beauty of pavers is that they can be "lifted" out and replaced if you need to. If I were you, I would (as the others have said) lift out the pavers where you want to build, dig and pour a proper footing, build what you want and then place the pavers in around your new construction. That would be the proper way and you will be glad you did after it is done!

Thanks guys. I will take all of your advice and just remove the pavers, dig a bit, fill in with cement, etc...
It shouldnt really create that much more work. Pretty simple really.

The columns are pretty small. Maybe 3' high with a 1.5' high wall connecting them. Pretty typical landscaping stuff for show.
Stick a light on top of a blue stone cap or something. I cant really do much until it gets much warmer out anyway.

Thanks again!!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.