Importance of testing yourself

baudilus

Jun 23, 2009
Toms River, NJ
I've been a member for a little but recently found my way back, and happened upon the BBB method.

I've got a SWG supplemented with an automatic feeder, and I'm interested in switching over with what chemicals I do need (as my SWG is not reliable). Namely, using bleach to shock it instead, although my pool store's shock prices seem to be almost identical to the prices I see for bleach (and they run a 20% off sale every March or April).

Anyway, I was looking at the test kits recommended, but I have a few questions.

1. Testing two to three times per week, how long can I expect the supplies to last?

2. My local pool store (actually, there are three or four within one mile of my house) has pretty accurate tests - it's very close to my house (walking distance, if I really wanted to). Assuming they use the same Taylor Chemistry tests that I would purchase, why couldn't I just take a quick trip there during the summer once or twice a week?

1) That depends on the test kit, and what happens with your pool. The TF 100 typically lasts about two seasons, the K-2006 about one season. But those will both vary depending on how high some of your particular levels are on average (higher levels use up more titrant on each test). Also the different tests (FC, TA, CH, etc) tend to last noticeably different amounts of time.

2) The most important thing when testing the water is consistent results. If you have different employees at the store doing the tests you are likely to get different results using the same water. If you always do the test yourself, or always get the same employee, that isn't a problem. Some pool stores are really good, but many pool stores give wildly wrong test results. There isn't really any incentive for them to do the test correctly.

Another problem with many pool stores is that they tend to pressure you to buy expensive chemicals that you don't need. If you don't have any reason to go in, they don't have a chance to sell you something you will never use.

Finally, if you follow our advice, you will save lots of money by buying most of your pool chemicals at the grocery and hardware stores. Pools stores typically don't like people who come in all the time and never buy anything.

Welcome back. When you say your SWG isn't reliable do you mean it doesn't work reliably or it doesn't keep the algae away?

Can you post a full set of test results, even if it's from the pool store.

Now on to your questions.

baudilus said:
1. Testing two to three times per week, how long can I expect the supplies to last?
I have the Tf-100 test kit and if I only tested that often it would last a season or two.

baudilus said:
2. My local pool store ... has pretty accurate tests ... . Assuming they use the same Taylor Chemistry tests that I would purchase, why couldn't I just take a quick trip there during the summer once or twice a week?
A) If you spend some time reading here you'll find out that most of the time pool store test results are very suspect. It's not just the chemical kits that are important, it's the process used. Not measuring the sample carefully, not counting drops accurately, not carefully determining the end point, etc. are just some of the things I've seen at the pool store test counter. B) IMHO there's nothing like the piece of mind I get knowing the testing is being done correctly. There are also times that you'll want to test something more often than normal and if you have your own kit you can test as much and as often as you like.

You also don't feel any obligation to buy pool store chemicals.

Jason and I were writing at the same time but saying basically the same thing.

I can't post test results as the pool is currently closed and under a foot of snow. :)

I will update my location, forgot to do that.

Regarding the store, maybe I am lucky to be near this store because whenever I go in there, they just take the water and ask me how the water looks, run the tests, and give me a printout of the results. They sometimes tell me what things I should add to the water but it doesn't really seem like they care if I actually buy anything - I've walked in and out with nothing but the test results and they don't seem to care.

There is another store that is a little bit out of the way (6 miles), but the lady is meticulous about their tests and they charge I think 1 or 2 bucks. I was in there buying something unrelated (i think I was getting a lawnmower blade sharpened in the other half of the store) and I heard a woman asking why they charge for the test when all the other pool places are free, and the lady behind the counter said something like "that's what it is, we test accurately. You can go get a free test and buy all the stuff they want you to buy or I can tell you what your pool really needs."

I may give that store a whirl again when I sharpen my lawnmower blade - they may even sell the Taylor test kit. Given how much I'll save using BBB (over ProTeam Supreme Plus alone!) it will pay for a test kit and then some, so if I can't find it locally I'll be ordering next week.

Thanks for the elaborations!

You'll save a bunch applying what is on TFP.
Those pool stores do not care about your pool & wallet the way you do.
Get one of the 2 kits advised in Pool School is my advice. Most here, me included, love the one from Duraleigh, TFTestkits

I can only comment on my experience. I test my own water and get consistent results because I do it the same all the time, the correct way. I some times go and have tested at a Pool Store just to get a ball park figure (it saves on reagents) and noticed that they do not measure accuratly and always get wide ranges of results.

I proved it to a friend that had an algea problem. We got 2 samples from the same pool and told the pool guy that they were from 2 different pools and got 2 different results for each test. The variances were not small either. For FC one was .5 and the other 3.

Sooner or later, you would want to test yourself.

Johnny B said:
You'll save a bunch applying what is on TFP.

Don't I know it - and I haven't even started yet!

This year I want to buy all (or almost all) of the chemicals I'll need on hand for the whole season before I even open the pool. I've been going around getting prices and adding everything up, and so far I'm right around $550 (Bleach [enough for two good shocks], salt, borax, Muriatic Acid, and let's not forget my TF100). I may be missing a few things, but all in all that's a far cry from previous years where I was spending $200-300 per month for a 5 month season.

The savings on borax alone over Pro Team Supreme is enough to pay for a good test kit.

My wife thinks I'm now obsessed, but I can't wait for her to see that sparkling water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.