Hayward Perflex EC65a or 75a: Opinions?

JWB

Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

I need to replace our 20 y/o Purex DE 36 SF filter with a new unit. I have an IG 26,880 pool with a Hayward 1HP single-speed pump. For financial reasons (filing BK soon), I’d like to get the group’s opinion of the Hayward EC65a or 75a. Both are well priced and within our budget. Does anyone have any experience with these in relation to a similar pool setup as mine?

Thanks

I have a good bit of experience with the EC line of filters, the 75 is just the big one, they all work the same.

Let me refer you to Use and Care for DE Filters(from the 'Further Reading' section at the bottom of Pool School).

The EC series are the 'bump' style filters :)

I hope I covered most of the questions you may have with the new unit in the link I gave, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions that arise once the new unit is installed and running :-D

Congrats on the new filter and finding us! :goodjob:

Thanks Waste for the link... good read!

PoolGuyNJ
This tech HATES bump filters. Too many nuts and bolts.
I assume you're talking about the Hayward cover system. Good point... a lot of manual work to get the cover off.

The Pentair Star 80 uses a single stainless steel clamp for the cover, similar to grid filters. Different regeneration method to.
http://www.pentairpool.com/products/fil ... rs-158.htm

Maybe this would be a better option?

The Star 80 is also a 'bump' DE filter. It has the plastic plate in it that scrapes the DE off the grids.

I agree that the 15 bolts that secure the EC 75 take a couple extra minutes to undo and reassemble, but it's not a major headache :wink: I'll gladly tell you a couple of tips to make the disassembling and reassembling quicker and easier :cool:

waste said:
The Star 80 is also a 'bump' DE filter. It has the plastic plate in it that scrapes the DE off the grids.

I agree that the 15 bolts that secure the EC 75 take a couple extra minutes to undo and reassemble, but it's not a major headache :wink: I'll gladly tell you a couple of tips to make the disassembling and reassembling quicker and easier :cool:

Thanks... I'll take you up on that once I have it installed. So you think, given my pool's size, the EC75 is a good choice? Some online retailers list it as an above ground filter. Not sure why. I certainly don't want to undersize this part.

JWB said:
So you think, given my pool's size, the EC75 is a good choice? Some online retailers list it as an above ground filter. Not sure why. I certainly don't want to undersize this part.
The Perflex® Extended-Cycle EC75A Series D.E. Filter is described on one web site as appropriate for pools up to 20x40'. The Hayward site lists it in the section for in-ground pool filters with these specifications

Turnover (In Gallons)
Model Number EC75A
Effective Filtration Area 40 sq ft.
Design Flow Rate 80 GPM
8 Hours 38,400
10 Hours 48,000
It certainly appears that this 40 sq ft filter would work for your pool but if you want to do the calculations Hayward provides a work sheet that can be used to estimate TDH, pump and filter sizes:

Hey thanks for the info. A Hayward tech advised me that given my location (CA), a Pro-Grid filter would be "more robust". Honestly we probably swim two months out of the year. The rest of the time it's just something to sit around and look at (sorry pool aficionados!). We don't even use the heater... too old anyway.

If I went with a sand filter what make or model is popular here?

Sorry to be so blunt but I've just spent two weeks researching DE models and I don't have much time to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you want to research other options, it's your money and your choice - let's face it, you'll be the one living with the filter and having to maintain it :mrgreen:

My best advice is to get a filter that will easily mate with your existing system :wink:

If you opt for the sand filter (it would honestly be my first choice for a filter) - please make sure that you have the room for it and that the pad, under the pool equipment, will be able to properly support the weight!

You're having 'second thoughts' about getting the EC75, it's understandable and anyone would also, when making a long term purchase - do a little more research and bounce any thoughts you have off us, it's what we're here for :-D

Ted,

Thanks for all your help. I mean it... you and your fellow contributors have been great! I'm going to stick with a DE filter. I've had one for five years and have gotten used to the cleaning and charging routine... takes a half-hour at best. The Pro-Grid 4820 will be slightly larger than my old Purex 36 SF model. Also, I'm hoping for better water throughput since resistance within the filter will be lessened by its larger volume.

Thanks again,
Jon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.