Is this auto fill installed at the proper level?

HardTrance9

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Los Cabos
Hi all,

The pool labeled CL on my signature went recently through a new placement of the automatic fill. This was done by some contractor hired by the pool owner.

The are important questions to be made here, maybe you can help me out figure what the answers could be?

The CL pool is an infinity type, has only two "jets" or returns, has one drain on the main pool area, has another drain on the overflow area (picture), has the new placed autofill system and does not have any skimmer. Questions are:

1) Is it ok for this pool not to have a skimmer? What can be used instead of it? The drain that is in the sides where the water falls in? (overflow it's called?)

2) The auto fill was first placed on a higher altitude about 30 cms. abovethan the infinity level:

------ Auto fill system

Infinity level or normal pool level-------------------------

Overflow level --------------

The autofill system was not working properly and then some said that the auto fill system had to be a the overflow/channel level (water level where the water "falls" after the infinity and then drains and recirculates) so the contractor moved the auto flow system "down" but it was placed now exactly at the infinity/pool water level. See picture attached below in the dark.

Some ugly drawing again..

Infinity level or normal pool level------------------------- ------ Auto fill system

Is this a correct installation? Or should the autofill system be lower that where the picture shows it? One step down at the overflow/channel level? Or this doesn't matter at all? I am trying to find if this is a mistake or not and if there is any affectation on the system functionality.

For some reason, the contractor made an installation where the auto fill system never fills. The water keeps coming out and the auto fill never stops.

3) Does using the drain on the "overflow" (sorry if I keep naming that part incorrectly) as a skimmer, for example for pouring the DE water mixture, is an ok way to do this? Or when a pool does not have a skimmer, how do you add the DE?

4) Does the amount of DE on the pictures (half bucket) looks normal to you? It is for the Pentain FNSP Model 36 (to add 3.6 lbs of DE according to manual)

Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• 10Feb_0005.jpg
    10Feb_0005.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 373
  • 10Feb_0006.jpg
    10Feb_0006.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 371
  • 10Feb_0008.jpg
    10Feb_0008.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 371
HardTrance9 said:
The CL pool is an infinity type, has only two "jets" or returns, has one drain on the main pool area, has another drain on the overflow area (picture), has the new placed autofill system and does not have any skimmer. Questions are:

1) Is it ok for this pool not to have a skimmer? What can be used instead of it? The drain that is in the sides where the water falls in? (overflow it's called?) The overflow of water over the wall (rim) and/or a gutter drain takes the place of skimmers.

2) The auto fill was first placed on a higher altitude about 30 cms. abovethan the infinity level:
------ Auto fill system
Infinity level or normal pool level-------------------------
Overflow level -------------
The autofill system was not working properly and then some said that the auto fill system had to be a the overflow/channel level (water level where the water "falls" after the infinity and then drains and recirculates) so the contractor moved the auto flow system "down" but it was placed now exactly at the infinity/pool water level. See picture attached below in the dark.
Infinity level or normal pool level------------------------- ------ Auto fill system
Is this a correct installation? Or should the autofill system be lower that where the picture shows it? One step down at the overflow/channel level? Or this doesn't matter at all? I am trying to find if this is a mistake or not and if there is any affectation on the system functionality.
For some reason, the contractor made an installation where the auto fill system never fills. The water keeps coming out and the auto fill never stops.

3) Does using the drain on the "overflow" (sorry if I keep naming that part incorrectly) as a skimmer, for example for pouring the DE water mixture, is an ok way to do this? Or when a pool does not have a skimmer, how do you add the DE?

4) Does the amount of DE on the pictures (half bucket) looks normal to you? It is for the Pentain FNSP Model 36 (to add 3.6 lbs of DE according to manual)
Well, you're going to need advice from the pros on this one...

The overflow of water over the wall (rim) and/or a gutter drain takes the place of skimmers. I know that larger infinity edge and gutter pools require surge tanks (though I've never looked inside of one so can't tell you exactly what to look for) to store a certain percentage of make-up water that is fed back into the pool after filtering. The pump size listed in your signature makes me wonder if it's used for suction at the surge tank (it could also be needed to pump water up a hill) and force it through a large DE filter. Is the pump below the tiled area shown in your photo?

Your other questions must be answered by those knowledgeable about these systems. Interesting setup.

The auto-fill shouldn't be above the surface level of the pool, for sure. That would just run constantly as you said. You want it set as close to the level of the edge as possible, and your margin of error for setting it lower depends on the size of the trough and the surface area of the pool. For instance, if you set the auto-fill 6" below the edge then the trough would likely be sucked dry before the water spilled over. You might be ok at 1" or so below, though, which would give you some room to account for displacement from bathers.

You need the auto-fill tied to the pool level, not the level of the catch basin below.

No skimmer is fine, you'll just need to keep the basin clean. All your debris will end up there. Adding DE through the basin drain is ok as well if that drain goes back to your filter pump and not just a water feature pump. Most residential systems I deal with have separate equipment to handle the pool filtration and spillover since the spillover requires much more power and would be wasteful to use as filtration.

polyvue said:
Well, you're going to need advice from the pros on this one...

The overflow of water over the wall (rim) and/or a gutter drain takes the place of skimmers. I know that larger infinity edge and gutter pools require surge tanks (though I've never looked inside of one so can't tell you exactly what to look for) to store a certain percentage of make-up water that is fed back into the pool after filtering. The pump size listed in your signature makes me wonder if it's used for suction at the surge tank (it could also be needed to pump water up a hill) and force it through a large DE filter. Is the pump below the tiled area shown in your photo?

Your other questions must be answered by those knowledgeable about these systems. Interesting setup.

Thanks Polyvue. No the pump is located above the pump area in a shed together with the timer, valves, etc., at ground level (same level where our feet are).

You are right, looks this one can be more technical. Will keep on reading.. and see what I can find out..

spishex said:
The auto-fill shouldn't be above the surface level of the pool, for sure. That would just run constantly as you said. You want it set as close to the level of the edge as possible, and your margin of error for setting it lower depends on the size of the trough and the surface area of the pool. For instance, if you set the auto-fill 6" below the edge then the trough would likely be sucked dry before the water spilled over. You might be ok at 1" or so below, though, which would give you some room to account for displacement from bathers.

You need the auto-fill tied to the pool level, not the level of the catch basin below.

No skimmer is fine, you'll just need to keep the basin clean. All your debris will end up there. Adding DE through the basin drain is ok as well if that drain goes back to your filter pump and not just a water feature pump. Most residential systems I deal with have separate equipment to handle the pool filtration and spillover since the spillover requires much more power and would be wasteful to use as filtration.

Ok thanks. Then looks like the auto fill system is placed at the proper leve (pool level / edge - not basin level).

Ok with the skimmer and DE comments, thanks.

I guess one question here is if it's ok to open 1/4? 1/3? 1/2? the basin drain for better suction or leave it closed? Wondering if leaving it open could make some leafs and debris in general go through there and clogg it?

If the auto fill level is ok, then I will try to find out why the auto fill never fills up. Maybe as Polyvue suggests there is something missing.

I will try to take more pictures so show all this... or even video an post it on youtube so you can see what is happening..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.