A bunch of snow after these two Nor'Easters...

Jul 7, 2009
So, my experiences being a new pool owner continue... (above ground came with the house we purchased)

Living in norther Delaware, we got hit with two big snow storms in a row. A total of about 30 inches. The pool cover is loaded with snow.

While everything seems ok, I want to know about how much is "too much" and what to do? Do I need to worry about clearing off the snow?

even if we could make it to the pool, I don't know the best way to clean off the snow. A broom? a rake? a shovel? With the size of the pool, I don't know how much snow I'll be able to get off.

Anyone have suggestions?

Is that much snow uncommon for the area? or has the pool survived this sort of thing in the past (any way to check with the former owner)

if it's it light and fluffy you could try a leaf blower...

Not sure about other methods and you could end up hurting your back, LOL

This winter has brought us more snow than the last 4 winters COMBINED! So this is unusual.

The previous owner lives up the street, he stopped by while I was shoveling the drive way. The pool has survived snows of the past without having to clear it off, but none were nearly as deep.

last night, I noticed the sides of the pool are rippled, and some are slightly pulled away from the vertical metal posts. It has me worried.

One hope I have is that the water left in the pool as frozen solid, and might be supporting some of the weight.

This snow is wet/heavy. I think I'm going to try something to get some of that snow off. I really don't want the pool to be damaged. I don't want to have to replace it this summer (maybe in a year or two, but this spring/summer I want to spend my money on other things).

Welcome to TFP!!

I'm worried about the sides being 'rippled' and pulling away from the uprights :(

Something is causing the weight of the snow to put excessive pressure (INWARD! :shock: ) on the walls. The best I can tell you is to either get the snow off the cover ASAP - OR - unclamp the cover and let it fall into the pool :eek: (a little mess in the pool when you open is a LOT better than a collapsed pool! :evil: )

You've got to relieve the pressure pulling in on the walls, lest you loose the pool!

I know this is not good info to hear, but the pool water isn't supporting the weight of all that snow.
I fear that you may have a leak that's caused the water to go down, and I certainly hope that's NOT the case!! However, once the snow is gone and you can see into the pool, we'll be able to better advise you on the cause for this.

I, unfortunately, think the best course of action is to just unhook the cover, let it go in the pool and fish it out come spring :cry:

The pool should be able to accommodate the weight. If you have an air pillow, it's probably popped. If you dig a space to the cover, pump off any melted snow.

The weight is being supported by the water below, frozen or not. Ice and snow float,

Scott

I too, would un-do the cover if the walls are rippling and pulling. I have a ton of snow and ice on my pool but the walls are not rippling or pulling away from the uprights. I have kept a close eye on it for this reason because of how much snow and ice I have at the moment.

Just loosen the cover and we'll help you clear it up once it thaws.

To follow up, shortly after my initial post, we released the metal cord holding the cover on, so only the ice, snow, water was holding it down.

The cover had ripped. And I'm pretty sure we had a leak because by the time the weather got warmer and we could walk to the pool, the water level was nearly 1/3 of what it was when we put the cover on.

When the winter had ended, some of the metal supports were bent, the wall was very rippled, the cover was ripped, and the air pillow was still inflated (while almost full, it was not as full as when we first put the cover on). Since the pool was here for we don't know how long (no idea of its age), it was out of level before the winter, now with the even less sturdy look of it after the ice and snow, we decided to rip it out and replace it.

We purchased a Creation 24 ft round (same size around as the old one) at the local Namco store (it was on sale for nearly 50% off). We contacted the local govt office and got the right permits, hired a company to install it.

Its in. And I'm glad we replaced it.

The old one was 4 inches out of level, and there was little/no sand under the liner, and the metal side posts were just sitting on dirt.

The new one is 100% level, has 2 inches of sand under it, the vertical supports are on blocks.

Other than the installers not being very reliable (i.e. not calling when they were going to be late or not make it that day like they told us), they did a great job installing it. It couldn't be lined up with the existing deck any better, and each top brace is 100% level.

We're happy, and the next door neighbors are too (we later found out they wouldn't let their kids anywhere near the previous pool!!)

Now I just have to figure out the cover, and stuff for this winter, and HOPE we don't get as much snow and ice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.