Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: deicer question

1. Back To Top    #1

deicer question

can potasium chloride deicer be used instead of calcium chloride deicer. Im in mammoth right now and all the stores have a potasium chloride deicer. I was hoping to stock up for the drive back to the OC.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: deicer question

If your intent was to increase the Calcium Hardness (CH) in your pool, then no, you cannot use potassium chloride for that purpose. It is the "calcium" in calcium chloride that increases CH; potassium won't do that.

If your intent was to deice, then yes, potassium chloride can be used but recognize that it is similar to regular salt (sodium chloride) except it is not as harsh on plants, but note that like regular salt, it will not work well at lower temperatures below around 15F. Calcium chloride works well even at very low temperatures.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: deicer question

Thanks-

I thought it was a silly question but you never know.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.