Can you identify this coating on my pool deck?

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I have an area on my 4 yr old pool that has part of the "coating" coming off of it. This coating appears to be put onto normal concrete probably for slip resistance and it definitely keeps the surface cool in the summer.

1. What is it?

2. How do I keep the shown damaged area from getting worse?

twitterjc.jpg

img0053jx.jpg

You didn't cause it.

It delaminated from the bond failing. Any bond will eventually fail when exposed to freeze/thaw cycles, its a matter of how many cyles it can withstand. It could have just been that area. You could tap it with the plastic end of a screwdriver to see how widespread the problem is. The sound will be very different where it has delaminated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The delamination is caused by either water penetration or differences in expansion rates between the deck and the coating and then penetration. Once the coating looses elasticity, it's all over at that location. It is patchable. Eventually though, it will be time to redo it.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.