A few questions

Nov 13, 2009
Carlsbad, CA
Hello everyone!

If anyone could answer a few questions I have it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

First.. our pool is now being filled. We are at the 36 hour mark right now and it is still not finished. My husband set his alarm for 3am to check on the progress. We are so excited to get our water bill next month :cry:

How do I figure out how many gallons our pool is??

I know there is an answer to this next question somewhere in this forum but what sort of test kit should we purchase? Any recommendations?

We were told to brush the pool 3 times a day and it will be a month before it can be heated or switched to salt water. Is there anything else we should be doing?

jennybug35 said:
How do I figure out how many gallons our pool is??

I know there is an answer to this next question somewhere in this forum but what sort of test kit should we purchase? Any recommendations?

We were told to brush the pool 3 times a day and it will be a month before it can be heated or switched to salt water. Is there anything else we should be doing?
Hi Jenny - There are at least 3 different ways to measure gallons of water in your pool presented in this thread: Estimating a free form pool volume

An overview of recommended test kits is found here. Unless you have an exceptionally well-stocked pool store in your area your best bet is to buy a kit using internet/mail order... Leslie's sells K-2006 on-line but they stock the less-respected K-2005 in their stores. Spspools-spas.com and PoolCenter.com have superior pricing for the K-2006. TFTestkits.net has a more elaborate kit with competitive pricing and, last time I checked, very fair shipping costs.

Finally, besides following whatever the pool builder has asked you to do in the first days and weeks, do read this fine and comprehensive article from Pool School, entitled, Start-up New Plaster

Hi Jennybug,

Ditto what Polyvue said. That's good info.

Also, if you are on city water, you might want to check with your water service and make sure that they aren't doing sewer averaging right now. Most municipal water services do sewer averaging during the winter to determine what to charge you for sewer use throughout the year. If you fill a pool during this time, it can throw those numbers off and you can end up paying more for sewer on your water bill. If they are doing sewer averaging right now, all it usually takes is for you to contact them and write them a letter or something stating the fact that your are doing a pool fill and they will subtract the gallons off of the average.

WooHoo!!!! Congrats!!! :party: :cheers: :whoot: :goodjob:

I'll agree on not adding salt for at least 30 days (60 is even better!), but you can use the spa (heat) after a week. Do they really think you are going to look at that beautiful pool and spa and not want to use it for a month??!

Post up pics when it is full and sparkling!!!!

Thank you all for your help!! I'm soaking all of this information up.

In one week we will so be using that spa.. Here are a few pictures I took today. The water is pretty cloudy but I love the color! We went with medium grey plaster.

poolwater.jpg

poolwater2.jpg

poolwater5.jpg

waterpool2.jpg

jennybug35 said:
In one week we will so be using that spa..

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.... please do a Google Search (bottom left corner) of "New Plaster Break In" and read the various topics.

I fear using the spa so soon you may be risking damage to your spas' surface.... as it's only been a week or so of filling, the plaster surface is likely not cured enough.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong.... :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jenny-

I've been building pools for almost 15 years and plastering them for 6 of them. Give it a week to cure and fire up that spa and enjoy!! You've waited all this time and gone through the process, it is now time to relax and :party: :party:

By the way, it looks absolutely beautiful! Congratulations!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.