new pool intex chlorine generator chemical test question

Jul 22, 2007
:-D First off, let me say hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! for finding you all. ok..i live inrochester new york, we bought an 18x18x442in. deep
intex inflateable pool. the 6 weeks we bought this aqua chem shock product and a test kit by the same. we also have an intex filter system that came w/ the pool. everything seemed peachy. i think we used the shock 3 times while awaiting a chlorine generator(intex) we used it for the first time today. when using the new and improved strips(their claim) it said chlorine ok but alkalinity low ph ok. now i couldn't smell a hint of chlorine, oh we did put in the suggested 120lbs. of salt,moved it around and waited 24 hrs per the manual, so i used the original aqua chem tester and it didn't register anything for bromide or chlorine. so we have started a new cycle of running generator for two hrs per manual. we did leave immediately after setting the chlorinator so i suppose it might have shut itself off......
i'm also at a loss to determine how much of a chemical to add should the levels be off. is there an equation?
boy, any thoughts or better yet, step by step direction would be greatly appreciated. this is new suff, i've got two young boys so i'm especially careful w/ this whole chemical thing. not my area of expertice.
thanks so much.Mike

Welcome to TFP!

You might want to read the article on BBB and basic chemistry in the Stickies section of this site, see the link in the sub-heading of each page.

You can use my Pool Calculator to figure quataties, see the link in my signature.

It is important to not let the chlorine go to zero if you can help it. Until you are more sure of the SWG you should keep an eye on things and add chlorine other ways if there are any problems.

just getting started

thanks Jason. i checked it just now w/ the strip and it is saying the alkalinity is low. the other measures look ok. though water appears (or the liner) kind of green. is the low alkalinity the cause?
thanks again,
mike
oh...and idid read the sticky you suggested prior to posting. i do want to become as self sufficient w/ this pool as i can.
chemicals make me nervous.

Re: just getting started

glibson1 said:
thanks Jason. i checked it just now w/ the strip and it is saying the alkalinity is low. the other measures look ok. though water appears (or the liner) kind of green. is the low alkalinity the cause?
thanks again,
mike
oh...and idid read the sticky you suggested prior to posting. i do want to become as self sufficient w/ this pool as i can.
chemicals make me nervous.

it would be best to invest in a good testing kit....you can find one here, or look online for Taylor, either one would be good to have...

you need to test your Free chlorine levels, CC, alkalinity, PH, and CYA, and post back.

Low alkalinity would not cause the water to turn green. Cloudy or murky green water is algae caused by low chlorine levels. Cloudy or murky water should be treated by shocking the pool. Clear transparent green water after adding chlorine can be caused by metals in the water. If a clear green appeared right after adding chlorine and lowering the PH a little clears the water again you probably need to treat for metals.

Welcome to the forum! If you suspect you have metals in your water you can pick up a sequesterant to WM or Menards or Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Add according to directions.

As far as the Intex SWG goes, we have been using ours for about 2 weeks and it does take a bit of adjusting and even then, if you have extremes in temps from low to high or vice versa, you may still need to adjust the time some. Make sure that the pump is running for the entire time the generator is on or it will sense low flow and shut down. We started out with our chemical levels set right and then added the SWG to keep it there, which is much easier than trying to have it bring levels up and hold them by itself.

Get the test kit you need (order a good drops based one) and while you are waiting for that, you can buy a fair one that will hold you over at WM - not strips, the 6 way drops test HTH makes. That will keep you ok till a good drops test comes your way. The good testing set will save you more money and time in the long run, even with a smaller pool. Use your time to swim, not clean up messes!

Good luck and ask all the questions you want, thats what all these great people come here to do - share knowledge!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.