new build in the phoenix area

Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone-

I am building a new pool here in the desert and this looks to be the general specs:

90 ft perimeter
pebble sheen interior
Salt water system
3 deck jets
3.5 - 5.5 - 4 ft depths
cart filter with pool vac system
15,500 gallons
baja step
acrylic lace decking plus additional lace on existing patio

I have a number of questions based on the estimates I have gotten thus far:

Equipment brands: Is pentair more reliable or efficient than Hayward? I have one builder who uses exclusively Pentair and cited it as one of his selling points. I would be using the entry level pentair equipment for the pump, filter and SW system so no variable speed pump for me.

Gunite vs. Shotcrete: From the reasearch I have done online it seems gunite would be superior. What is strange to me is in the Phoenix area only a few PB's (like 2) use gunite. Is there a reason related to Phoenix that would cause this or would it be related to shotcrete being cheaper?

Costs: The quote I got is $23k (without pool equipment wall or fence take down and replacement which will be handled by landscape). Does this seem to fair pricing?

Any recommended cheap upgrades? I have seen may posters champion LED lights but wanted to ask if there were any other small touches to add.

thanks for any input

One thing I've learned is that ALL upgrades are relatively cheap. If you add all the cheap upgrades you will still spend a fortune. You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm going with the a SWG, because I bought it used. I like the Savi Melody lights for the cost, even though I have to use two in the pool. Three waterfalls with Savi lights. I didn't go with the extra booster pump for the spa because I wanted to save space on the pad and keep the system simple. My Jandy Aqualink can always be upgraded down the road with any extras that I may want like the USB module to control my system via the computer and remotely through my phone. I did go with the 2 speed pump because it will pay for itself and the electric company offers rebates. Check craigslist for equipment, a lot of people are getting rid of their stuff for one reason or another.

rodgermorales said:
I am building a new pool here in the desert and this looks to be the general specs:

90 ft perimeter
pebble sheen interior
Salt water system
3 deck jets
3.5 - 5.5 - 4 ft depths
cart filter with pool vac system
15,500 gallons
baja step
acrylic lace decking plus additional lace on existing patio

Any recommended cheap upgrades? I have seen may posters champion LED lights but wanted to ask if there were any other small touches to add.
Welcome to the forum!

Besides the persistent water shortage, pool owners are fortunate to live in the Phoenix area. A 15K Pebblesheen pool w/baja bench plus SWG for $23K? Fantastic! Does this include a poured concrete deck? Big pipe is always good (2"+) as are over-sized cartridge filters. 2" OD PVC is pretty much standard at this point. I'm not sure what an entry-level Pentair pump would be but that's an important component to get right... the right size (not too big -- I have a 1 HP and it probably should have been 3/4 hp) and 2 speeds or variable speed, if possible. A few hundred dollars extra spent on a multi-speed or VS pump can be recouped in a relatively short time assuming electric costs are 15-20 cents a kWh or higher.

My contractor insisted that a cartridge filter of 200 sq ft was "more than enough" for my pool (technically, he was probably correct) and that 300 sq ft would be a waste of money. But I now feel that spending an additional $50 was the right way to go... for a 425 sq ft filter! Gets cleaned once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Would guess your SWG is separately controlled and the PB will be installing a timer to run filter/pump? I haven't heard anything consistent regarding which line of pool equipment is superior (Hayward or Pentair). Recommend that you focus on specifics in regard to plumbing, pump, filter, electrical and construction details, and see which products emerge from your specs that that best fit your plan. Shotcrete vs. gunite -- same pricing I'm pretty sure, but don't know which is most appropriate for Pebblesheen, or if it even makes a difference.

What's a pool equipment wall? Looking forward to seeing pics of your build!

Thanks for the replies guys-

Yes there are so many "small" upgrades I could do that I would eventually turn this into a "giant" budget. I guess picking and choosing the right ones is key. As you can tell by my specs it will be a very simple pool. For example I am forgoing the giant water feature for the deck jets. I think water features are beautiful but I am thinking more perimeter is were my ca$h should go first. I did minimal decking but, after reading the forums I am thinking of adding a bit more.

You are right I probably am relying too much on brand name as opposed to actual equipment. PB 1 is offering a 420 square ft pentair cartridge filter, 1.5 hp pentair whisper flow (too big?), "standard timer clock", and a pool vac he stated I could pick but recommended a polaris atv. As far as the plumbing it will be 2" pipe, 1" for the water feature (deck jets). This is the builder that uses gunite. PB 2 estimate is very vague. They list upgraded 1 size for cartridge and pump but not particular specs or model numbers. It also does not describe plumbing. It does tell me they would use a hayward navigator.

Pool equipment wall is a masonry wall around the equipment to conceal it. My HOA would require it as I have view fencing to a lake, park and walking path and they don't want me ruining the scene.

I am still curious about gunite vs shotcrete. When I told PB2 about PB1 he seemed shocked someone in Phoenix was using it and danced around the question about whether gunite was better.

Keep the comments coming! BTW this is an awesome forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.