Pool Safety / Lowering Pool Depth

Feb 8, 2010
My elderly parents just bought a new home with an inground pool.

- Los Angeles
- Pebbletec finish
- 3' to 7' deep
- Two main drains on the bottom and skimmers on the side
- Attached raised spa that's connected to the pool and creates a small waterfall into the main pool

They don't swim and will never use the pool but they (and I) are concerned they could accidently fall into the deep end.

Can I simply drain off about 2 feet of water from the pool to reduce the deep end and still keep the pool running? I assume the pool will just use the main drain to circulate the water and the skimmers won't be in use?

Would this affect the spa?

I've gotten different responses from different people as to whether or not this is possible.

If I could, I'd just drain the whole pool but I'm told the pool might crack if I do.

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP.

If you drain 2 feet, the shallow end will then become a danger because there won't be enough water in it to break a fall.

If they do fall into the deep end, they may not be able to reach the deck to hang on or access the ladder to get out if they are injured or disoriented from the fall, or if the fall was the result of a partially debilitating event.

The skimmers will no longer function and would allow the air into the pump unless they are plugged.

The returns will probably be above the water level, making a decent amount of noise, and increasing evaporation.

You'll have a hard time maintaining the water without operating skimmers to remove debris.

If money isn't an issue and the pool layout would allow it, an automatic cover might be a potential solution.

If we get a mesh safety cover, can we still run the pump to maintain the pool? My understanding is that I would still need to circulate the water at least once a day, but I don't want to have to pull off the cover each time.

Water from the raised spa flows into the main pool via a mini "waterfall like" spout. Would the water just go right through the mesh cover (since I'd have to still run the pumps)? or is a custom cover created with a gap in that location so that water can flow through that area of the cover?

My goal is to make the pool safe and minimize any maintenance needed.

Thank you

If you drain it down to any place that the PebbleTec is exposed it will leave a "bathtub ring" that you will never get out. There really isn't any safety in lowering the water anyway, as if they fall in they would not be able to reach the edge from the lower depth, and nearly any depth of water is dangerous if they would be knocked unconscious.

Maybe you could have a temporary deck built over it. That would protect the pool somewhat, and if they ever sold it would be an asset again.

Those mesh safety covers (like a loop loc) are not meant to be used when the pool is "open" as you have suggested. A motorized cover can be used since it is easily removed to maintain the pool. However, i have no idea how one of those would work with a spill over spa.

Not to be insensitive, but, if the pool was not something they/you wanted, why buy the house? Having a backyard inground pool is not something you can really neglect, keep water in, and keep covered continuously. They can be winterized for a season, but they really need care and maintenence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.