I thought I lived in Houston Texas

40 degrees and raining here...

Sure, I want to use the pool. But I still can't quite condemn this weather entirely as I cannot forget the 100+ degree day stretches that we no doubt have coming to us in August. :shock: Sometimes, it's just too hot to be outside.

March is coming. Won't be long now.

I live in the Champions Area, near Northgate Country Club..

I know we should be thankful we do not have all that snow that you guys have up in the NE, but in Houston....we just don't get this cold of a winter most of the time! :wink:

Houston weather has been matching Dallas weather, somewhat closely, much of the winter. Very strange and unusual. Way up here in Dallas area we are, I think, two climate zones lower (colder) than Houston. We are 8a, Austin 8b, and I think Houston is 9a (maybe 9b in some micro-climate areas). That's about 10 degrees higher, average low temps per zone, as you go up in numbers. I feel for you guys, really. You all have plants in the ground, that we have to bring in, in winter, that just don't tolerate the colder temps very well. I've had to put frost protection on some outdoor plants that normally tolerate our winters.

This has been the cloudiest, rainiest, 6 weeks of winter that I can remember since being in Texas since '71. I can hardly use the SolarBreeze (solar powered skimmer) and I'm dying to use it more as it does a remarkable job. :(

DH is in the Valley two days a week (way down there on the coast where lots of non-cold tolerant fruits and veggies are grown) . It's been cold many days down there too.

We have lots of trees budding. At least they like the rain.

gg=alice

Yes GG...I am hoping my palms make it thru this winter....I have covered them to try and protect them and they still look fine, but the neighbors that did nothing to their palms...well, they are lookin' like they won't be around for summer! :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We moved from Orlando to Houston several years ago, and I was amazed that Houston was hotter and more humid than Orlando. Bigger mosquitoes, too. Couldn't buy any cold weather for three years. Wet, sure. the soccer fields on Westheimer were under water half the time, but it was never cold. The neighbors were always telling us about "that big snow a few years ago", but we never saw anything. I don't think I ever turned off the air. Now that we're back in Orlando, Houston is some vast frozen tundra. I mean, its kinda cool-ish in Orlando (sock weather), but geeez! What's the deal?

lionsandtigersandbears
  • Check out the El Niño forecast at NOAA's climate prediction center (PDF file).
    Looks like we're in for more strange weather... until possibly April.

Mr. Cowardly Lion said:
Unusual weather we're having, ain't it?
  • Source: Cowardly Lion, upon noticing the snow falling on the poppy field.

Attachments

• Glinda-the-good-witch.jpg
    Glinda-the-good-witch.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 314
skydiva44 said:
Yes GG...I am hoping my palms make it thru this winter....I have covered them to try and protect them and they still look fine, but the neighbors that did nothing to their palms...well, they are lookin' like they won't be around for summer! :roll:

I'll bet that your palms will be okay. Ours seem to make out fine year after year. Now if you have banana trees as lots of Houston Metro folks do, they may or may not handle it so well. The one saving grace for them though is that it has been pretty wet down there and water is the lifeblood of any banana tree, hot or cold.

257WbyMag said:
skydiva44 said:

I'll bet that your palms will be okay. Ours seem to make out fine year after year. Now if you have banana trees as lots of Houston Metro folks do, they may or may not handle it so well. The one saving grace for them though is that it has been pretty wet down there and water is the lifeblood of any banana tree, hot or cold.

And depending on the type banana plant if you can get them chopped down prior to rotting down to the corm some will grow back. I didn't get my young palms covered in time. We'll see what happens next month. :hammer:

I had loads of bananas, until a few years ago. DH hated them, so I eventually, had them all dug up and, yes, the corms were gigantic. It took three strong guys to lift them into the truck. All parts of bananas are mostly water. In years before, I chopped down the ones in ground (these were ornamental) before the first hard freeze and then put down mulch to protect the whole pad from freeze (freeze+water=rot) then covered the whole area with plastic to keep the water from soaking the mother corm and babies.

Many bananas don't tolerate this, though, so I moved them to greenhouses, chopping them back so they would fit. Some were already in planters, but some I dug up and kept in planter during winter. In colder climates people chop them down to a storable size, dig them up, and store them "bare-rooted", actually bare corm, in a cool, but not freezing, dark location. They go dormant. I haven't been able to do that here, during normal winters, because I don't have any place that stays cool enough through the winter.....normally. The banana is actually not a tree. Once it flowers, whether it produces fruit or not, the plant dies and is chopped down. The corm though, by this time, with adequate care (water and sun and fertilizer), has already produced some babies to replace the main plant. It takes about 18 months for a banana plant to produce fruit in the tropics. Getting fruit in temperate climate is possible, as long as the plant is kept from freezing. It just takes much longer.

gg=alice

I have 2 huge Sago Palms...so far so good, keeping my fingers crossed that they survive. We're expecting more freezing temps this week with sleet/snow a possibility. I am so ready for a Pina Colada while floating in my blow up pool! :wink:

tagprod said:
So beautiful today I decided to clean my filter cartridges. Don't get used to it though. The weather will soon turn crappy and rainy again by Thursday.

Yesterday, Saturday, was a balmy 41 F, no wind chill and, SUN was out; one of very few sunny days in past two months. I sat out by the pool for a couple of hours soaking up the sun and drinking a wonderful Belgium ale. We got about 18" of snow here (different accumulation amounts all over DFW metroplex) on Thursday (snowed about 20 hours) and electricity out for 43 hours. Friday evening we were able to get out of our drive from back in the woods but the road out to main road was almost as bad. Between four houses we shared one snow shovel. Really nice to be out in the snow with neighbors, kids, and dogs even though we (adults) were working most of the time. Electricity back on yesterday at noon but just couldn't stay inside as it was such a beautiful day. Doggies still romping in 3-4 ft drifts. CRAPPY and cloudy (above freezing though) today but SUN should be out for most of next week. :party:

We keep 1 lb gas cylinders and some small catalytic heaters so we were able to keep pet snake warm and DH's "control center" (recliner) somewhat warm although he had nothing to control. :( Small gas burner was first and foremost used for coffee and tea. I got in some much desired reading using headlamp. :wink:

As soon as electric came on it was almost like it didn't happen (no electric). It was an adventure for me but DH was miserable with so little contact with outside world; TV, Satellite, AM radio for weather, and Internet although we had FM reception. This is the wettest, heaviest snow I've ever experienced. It's really sad to see all the beautiful old trees so damaged. We have at least two huge cedars and two old oaks uprooted and major limbs down from many trees. BUT Spring is almost here. :whoot:

gg=alice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.