safety cover and snow question

May 22, 2009
Earlier in the year I had a foot of snow or so on my loop lock safety cover. We then had a sudden thaw and there was a small puddle on top of the cover with a thin layer of ice. Is there a need to pump off water on this type of cover? I see the previous owners left a little giant submersible pump in our shed.

Poolbuoy said:
Earlier in the year I had a foot of snow or so on my loop lock safety cover. We then had a sudden thaw and there was a small puddle on top of the cover with a thin layer of ice. Is there a need to pump off water on this type of cover? I see the previous owners left a little giant submersible pump in our shed.
Boy, this sure isn't my area (pool saftey covers) but it's lonesome on the board tonight, so I'll have a go.... If the safety cover is constructed out of a material that sheds water- a solid cover - and there's enough water depth (say, a couple of inches or more) to justify the bother then you could use a small submersible pump to move it off the cover. (I would hesitate to use any heavy duty pump -- it's just a "small puddle" after all!) But, do you need to? I think it's doubtful. A foot of snow translates into an inch or two of standing water (or ice). Even if your pool is drained down well below the surface those covers are made to hold much larger loads. If the cover you're describing is of a material (e.g mesh) that drains water, let nature take it's course, a few warms days will melt the ice.

Are you a new pool owner? The first year I had a pool I couldn't stop fussing over it. Good luck! If that didn't fully answer your question, check back in a day or so...

If the water in the pool is thawed, a puddle on a mesh cover is an indication that the pool water level needs to be dropped a little. The water gets up close to the cover and the cover gets wet and settles down into the water due to the extra weight.

I usually drain through the skimmer, since the water will stop when it reaches the bottom of the skimmer if I forget to check it. I have a sloping yard and can just start a siphon whenever it's warm enough to drain water.

If you have a liner pool or fiberglass pool with no water line tile , leave the water level alone. The more, the better.

If you have a pool with a water line tile, a step pump on the first step or, if the pool has a step on the swim out, set it there as they tend to be about an inch lower. This will keep the water from freezing against the tile, The pressure from ice expansion can cause tiles to crack or pop off.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.